Anzac Cookie-I Need Help

Baking By Rochelle1 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 2:13am by Rochelle1

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 5

I met these cookies while working in a bake shop in Amreica and loved them. I just tried doing a batch of anzac cookies and they spread into one big puddle. I Live in Jamaica so my kitchen is not very cool. I wondered if maybe I should have chill the cookies before baking. Does wax paper work better than the grease paper. Do they have to be so thin? I used a cake and Pastry flour. Do you think I need a stronger flour? How about Bread flour?

Any thoughts would be welcome
Rochelle

4 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

I make these all the time and they are my favorite cookie.

I never use paper under them, but I would think parchment would be best if you can get it.

The trick that works for me is to mound them in a just slightly flattened ball on the cookie sheet, at least 3-4 inches from the other cookies.

I bake mine at 325 for 12-17 minutes, but 2 of my recipes actually say to bake at 275 for 20-25 minutes.

If you bake them low and slow, and pull them out when the centers still look quite underdone, you should get better results. These cookies really do keep cooking like crazy on the sheet after coming out from the oven, so I find that an underdone center will firm up great if the cookies are left on the sheet for about 7-20 minutes before removing. (They are near impossible to remove while piping hot anyway, too gooey, but don't leave them too long or they get very hard.)

I also make these bigger than say a chocolate chip cookie, and use about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each cookie.

Good luck, these are sooooo wonderful! Thank you AUS and NZ!

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 5

You only really need a teaspoon or two of mixture. It sounds like you might have too much golden syrup or the oven is too hot maybe?

Here is a really good recipe

NGREDIENTS

1 cup (90g) traditional rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
½ cup (40g) desiccated coconut
125g butter, chopped
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon boiling water

METHOD

Preheat the oven to slow (150°C/130°C fan-forced).

Combine the oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Combine the butter and golden syrup in a pan, stir over a low heat until the butter is melted.

Combine the soda and water, add to the butter mixture; stir into the dry ingredients while the mixture is warm.

Roll 1 heaped teaspoon of mixture into a ball; repeat with remaining mixture, placing the balls about 4cm apart on greased oven trays. Flatten balls slightly and bake in a slow oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Loosen the biscuits on the tray while warm; cool on trays.

Suitable to freeze. Butter mixture suitable to microwave.

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 5

I was raised on Anzac's and I have to say I've never seen a recipe that uses caster sugar. I might try it to see how different they turn out icon_smile.gif
Every recipe I have calls for 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar and they're always thick and chewy (like they should be - yum!!)

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 5

I had great success the second time around. Thanks for the advice. They are suppose to be samples but I have been eating them out. Delicious. Not to worry I have finally restrained myself. By reminding myself I am gaining weight. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks once more
Rochelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%