Red Frosting

Decorating By SunMamaof3 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:38am by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

SunMamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunMamaof3 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 17

Was just wondering how do i make the frosting RED enough? I know if I keep adding lots of red food coloring... it will still look pink not RED... do I need to use a different kind of food coloring? Any advices would be great! As I am going to make the grooms cake and will be doing the Tampa Bay Bucs on a sheet cake... so wanted the "flag" RED. icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks!!

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 17

I use Americolor super red, but it still takes quite a bit. Also, you should make it the day before you need it as the color will "mature" overnight.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 17

I agree, LOTS of red and I use Americolor also. It seems that most of my cakes have red on them so I make it frequently and it just takes a lot of color.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 17

I always have trouble with my red frosting, but a friend of mine who also makes cakes says she'll make her frosting thicker than it should be and will add about 1/2 of a container of the Wilton No Taste Red to it and stir really well. if it needs more color she'll add it then. Then she'll let it sit a day or two, because the longer it sits the darker the red gets. I'm going to try this the next time i need red frosting.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 17

Star with pink. The deepest pink you can make , then add the red coloring. You wont have to use aw hole bottle of red or pink.

SunMamaof3 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 17

I just bought the red coloring that is in paste... so I just put in one cup of white frosting and let it soak... so will update if it was a success... Thank you for the suggestions... icon_smile.gif

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 17

I try and use red as little as possible, but I have been known to use the Wilton tubes of red. I don't love them, but sometimes I can't get my reds to turn the right shade. Thanks for the tip about starting with pink though! Great idea.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 17

Dry color powder also seems to be stronger. But always let it sit for a cuple of hours to come up to full color.

SunMamaof3 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 17

Where can I find the dry color powder? Both grocery store and Michaels do not have those... so where else can I look for?

I know dry powder is the best but dont know where to find it... itll be great to know where to find...

Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 17

You'd have to check in a cake supplies store. Or a candy supplies store.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 17

I was coloring gum paste a week or so ago, and wanted to make it very red. I started out using Americolor red coloring but could tell it would probably take the whole container to get the red color I wanted. So I decided to try some red color powder that I had tucked away. Leahs is right, it worked beautifully! I also ended up with a much "richer" and "fuller" red color than I have gotten before. thumbs_up.gif

SunMamaof3 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 17

Ill google up to see if theres one nearby...

Thanks!!!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 17

I LOVE powdered red. You can order it at country kitchen sweetart. That's what I used for my Elmo cake...

But then I ran out of it with no time to order more, so my Razorback cake is just Wilton no taste red. I mixed it up the day before and then added a little more before icing the cake since it still didn't look deep enough... By the NEXT day when I took the pictures and served the cake it was that great red. So you CAN get the good, deep red with Wilton.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 17

You did not mention what kind of icing you are using, so this may not be the problem in your case, but something to keep in mind for future reference.. . . .

I agree about Americolor super red, however if your icing has any citric acid in it, it will cause the red to fade almost instantly even with powdered color or super red. Some of the pre-made icings do contain citric acid, as do a few recipes.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #15 of 17

reicon_biggrin.gifry Food Coloring check Sweet Celebrations site.

SunMamaof3 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #16 of 17

My only problem is I cannot order it... I need it for Saturday... so I will have to shop in the store... but I will have to use what I have for now... and be prepared to stock up on the red coloring through on line...

thanks!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Dry color powder also seems to be stronger. But always let it sit for a cuple of hours to come up to full color.

Just wondering which type of powdered color you prefer, the kind made from bugs or the kind made from tar? (The two most widely used red food coloring agents â look it up) icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%