How Do I Get My Gumpaste To Dry Faster?

Decorating By Gale Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm by pastrylady

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 7

I made these ribbon swirls (can't think of a better way to describe them) Sunday afternoon and they still are not dry. I have to use them on a wedding cake the 20th and they have to be painted silver before then. They seem to be getting harder with each day, but I am so afraid they won't be ready. Any suggestions on how to speed up this process or should I just be patient. I used a premade gumpaste. It was really easy to work with. My only concern is this drying period.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 7

Is it real humid in your area? And what brand of premade gp did you use? I've heard there is one that never seems to dryicon_sad.gif
Try putting them into the oven with just the light on (No heat). You will be surprised how much heat the light will produce - enough to dry out gp.
Overnight should do it. Just don't forget you have something in the oven - maybe put a big note on the control icon_smile.gif

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

A food dehydrator will harden your gumpaste. It takes out all the moisture and makes them hard as rock.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 7

kakeladi,
thank you so much. It is very humid here. I can't remember the brand name and I'm not at home right now, but I will try the oven light tonight. Again, thank you SO MUCH for your reply.

gale

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 7

hwnhulahands, I was just thinking about using a dehydrator coz my fondant/gumpaste is not drying fast enough due to the rainny weather lately. My friend has a dehydrator so I thought about maybe that would work. How long will you run the dehydrator for? Will it make the figures crack? Thank you.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 7

I have a de-humidifier in one room and I'll put my gumpaste and fondant decorations in the same room and they dry really fast.

Be careful using your oven with just the light on. I did that and it got so hot that my gumpaste started melting and wasn't drying hardly at all. It was large gumpaste "tools" and they got really soft. I had to remove them from the oven and air dry.

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 7

Do you have a convection oven? If you do, and you can turn the fan on without turning on the heat, that's a great way to dry gumpaste pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%