Spraying Chocolate On Strawberries

Decorating By Dee23 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm by PinkZiab

Dee23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee23 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello All- Can anyone give me a hint on how to use choclate spray. I have to do a strawberry shortcake and the colors are black and platinum. I found "platinum" chocolate but it is for an airbrush technique. Never did chocolate with an airbrush before. Can I just use the small airbrush I have?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

I did it in culinary school. You actually need a new paint sprayer. You'll also need to mix in cocoa butter (melted of course.) If I remember, the formula is 60% cocoa butter, 40% chocolate. But I could have that reversed. You'll know immediately, because if the formula isn't right it won't go thru the sprayer.

Dee23 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your quick response. I really appreciate it. So I take it I can't use my airbrush equipment?

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 8

I've only done it, or seen it done with a paint sprayer.

And what's platinum chocolate? I'm familiar with silver airbrush color.

And why to the strawberries need to be sprayed? That's a pretty specific technique to achieve a specific result.

Dee23 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 8

Well, I am know for my strawberry shortcakes because I dip all of my strawberries with chocolate and place them on top of the cake which makes the cake look awesome. So my thinking was since the color scheme is black and platinum (silver) I would dip some of my strawberries with black chocolate and some with platinum (silver) chocolate. I just thought it would look great to do and I've never seen strawberries dipped in those colors before. Just doing something out of the ordinary. You think it would be ok?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

Leah is right... it's roughly a 60/40, cocoa butter/chocolate mix, but that could change slightly depending on the cocoa butter content of the chocolate you use. And no, you cannot spray this in a regular airbrush--it's WAY too thick. You need a paint spray gun such as designed for painting houses and such (previously unused, obviously).

Something like this:

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 8

See, I did pay attention in culinary school!!! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 8

lol... you crack me up.

Sounds to me like if you have the product/chocolate you need you would just dip or possible pipe it on as an accent color.

Another thing to note is that spraying chocolate is not going to give you a smooth, shiny finish. Your end product will look fuzzy, like it's flocked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%