Baking In Advance

Business By jnestor Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 2:53am by jilld

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 14

I got a cupcake order for Saturday, and I'm doing to be out of town Thursday, and Friday, so i wanted to bake the cupcakes today, how do I handle that? I've never baked in advance. Do I freeze them? How long do they have to sit out before I can decorate them if I freeze them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 14

I had an order last week for 900 cupcakes and I work a full time job so I obviously couldn't do them all in one dayicon_smile.gif I started baking them on Tuesday for a Friday night order and I left them sitting out in the boxes and they were fine. Everyone said they were delicious and I already got a couple more orders for this week because of them so they must have beenicon_smile.gif I hope that helps. I also want to add that I always frost them right away because I think that helps hold the moisture in.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 14

You can also line them up on cardboard sheets and then wrap the entire thing in saran wrap and freeze....then put in fridge to thaw overnight....then take out when you are ready to decorate and go for it! I always bake ahead and actually freeze all my cakes on purpose, even if overnight, because I think it makes them more moist and makes the flavors deeper.

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:46am
post #4 of 14

It's true. Cake is much better after being frozen. I always wrap a cake well and freeze. The next day, the cake is very moist and its flavor has blossomed. Cupcakes too!

Robertbakewell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertbakewell Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 14

we wouldnt be able to handle our business if we didnt freeze the cake, cupcakes included. I also think it makes the cakes more moist....and the cakes are easy to handle...i hate working with cake that isnt frozen...

How does duff from charm city cakes not freeze those cakes????it says fresh never frozen on his logo...i prefer frozen.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 14

As far as Duff goes...did you see an episode where they were hiding something from him (a surprise cake or something) and they hid it in a room that had like 3 chest freezers in it! What in the world does a bakery freeze if it isn't their cakes?!?! Maybe they just freeze them for an hour or two to make them easier to carve and not for days, but it was a little suspicious. LOL! icon_smile.gif

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 14

I was also wondering about freezing my cakes. Is overnight in the fridge enough to thaw them before decorating?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 14

I would freeze them for sure.... More like fresh and yes more moist. I would defrost on counter not in fridge...

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 14

when you freeze cupcakes, does the wrapper come away from the sides when defrosting?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 14

I have not had that happen. You may want to loosen the wrap or unwrap if covered in plastic wrap so you don't pull away the top.... Or stick them in a freezer container. Remove the lid and set on a counter to defrost. Shouldn't take that long. Couple of hrs maybe....

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 14

I put cupcakes in the freezer all the time, never had any problems defrosting or the papers coming off. I put container on the counter to defrost.

Just a note put a box of baking soda in freezer to absorb any food orders

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 14

Hmm, was thinking that while I'm on school break I'd do some sugar cookies for christmas time, how about those? Anyone? Do you think they would last until December when I take them out to decorate? I worry about freezer burn a little.

Of course I have to hide them under things like frozen vegetables so the family wont find them icon_smile.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 14

WHat do you wrap/freeze cupcakes and cake in? Gallon ziploc bags would probably work for 8" rounds and some cuppys but what about sheet cakes? How long are they good for? How long to unthaw on counter?

jilld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilld Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #14 of 14

I have baked ahead many times and frozen cupcakes, cakes, and all my holiday cookies. I usually only freeze my cakes and cupcakes for a few days to buy time if I have a lot of orders. I wrap them well in plastic wrap. I put the cupcakes on sheet cake boards and then wrap them to make it easier. Watch your freezer size before you try this. I thaw on the counter. The cupcakes thaw very fast - maybe an hour. Cakes take longer, especially pound cake. I bake a ton of cookies starting the first week of December and make cookie tins for all our family as gifts on Christmas Eve. For the cookies, I use gallon freezer bags. They taste fabulous and the relatives look forward to receiving their cookies. I even ship a few tins using USPS priority mail boxes and I am told they are very fresh and usually get devoured within a day upon delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%