Has Anyone Made Bakerella's Cake Pops?

Baking By Bellatheball Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 12:29pm by Cookies4kids

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 16

If so, can you make them with a white or yellow cake? I assume so but then I started to worry about the consistency. I know she recommends using a regular cake mix and canned frosting for the first batch. Somehow I feel the world would crumble down around me if I opened a can of frosting. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Any other tips about making them? Thanks!

15 replies
Jen1002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen1002 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 16

I haven't watched the video for a while but I don't remember anything about canned frosting.

From what I recall she mixed her crumbs with regular cream cheese icing. I would think using your own icing would be best anyway. If you are giving it to customers you want it to taste like yours (important for quality) and you probably have extra icing on hand anyway.

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 16

I've made them.

I used chocolate cake only because that is what I had on hand. I make cake balls with all flavors and they all have the same consistency so any flavor should work.

As far as frosting, you are only mixing a little with your cake so I would def. use your own frosting, not canned. I made the pops that look like little cupcakes. I dipped the bottoms in brown chocolate and the tops in white.

Hope that helps.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 16

I haven't made them yet - but REALLY want to. I love her blog icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to her blog.
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/

This is the link from when she was on Martha Stewart
http://tinyurl.com/5m8kqg

Bakerella was/is a CC member but I don't think she has posted much.

If you visit the martha link there are references and recipes to using scratch.

I wouldl expect that any cake flavour would work well. You could always email Bakerella and ask her. I bet she won't mind. Her email address is listed in her profile on her blog.

Can't wait to see pictures when you are done.

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 16

I made them for my DD's class they where a real hit, you can see them in my photos. I don't think it has to be canned frosting it is more the consistency. The kids want me to make them again and again, but I found them rather fiddly

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 16

I want to try her oreo truffles. They look so yum.

Ninabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninabeth19 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 16

I've kinda made them both ways. I used her advice the first time and used a strawberry cake mix and canned frosting. They were delicious! Here's where I blogged about them http://lovesweetlove.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/teeny-tiny-cupcakes/

Then I made cake balls last week. (there's a pic in my photos) I just crumbled up the cake talks and used leftover icing and they were even better!

Ninabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninabeth19 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 16

I've kinda made them both ways. I used her advice the first time and used a strawberry cake mix and canned frosting. They were delicious! Here's where I blogged about them http://lovesweetlove.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/teeny-tiny-cupcakes/

Then I made cake balls last week. (there's a pic in my photos) I just crumbled up the cake talks and used leftover icing and they were even better!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 16

I've made them with chocolate cake with the cream cheese icing, or the WASC cake with the cream cheese icing and both turned out well. icon_smile.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 16

I just made them today with pistachio cake and Dixie's vanilla almod icing that I got when I ordered her sample pack. Then I dipped them in white chocolate. Yum-o!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 16

I made the cupcake ones with red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting. Made them for an annual Labor Day party. Everyone loved them.

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

I want to try her oreo truffles. They look so yum.

The oreos are really yummy. I like them dipped in white chocolate. My absolute favorites are the ones I make with nutterbutters and then dip in chocolate...OH MY! If they weren't so rich, I could eat the whole batch icon_biggrin.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 16

nutter butters would be my absolute favorite! Just mix with icing and dip
in chocolate like the cake ones?

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 16

I made them for a July 4th picnic. I used red velvet cake and canned cream cheese icing (please don't hit me!). I made them to look like mini cuppies, but in a different way.
I bought a few of the peanut butter cup candy molds, filled the molds half-way with melted chocolate and put a cake ball in each cup. After they set up, I popped them out, added the sticks and dipped the tops in red, white or blue colored chocolate.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pics because I thought some of them came out kind of ugly.

cakes_are_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_are_fun Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 16

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! And I LOVE THEM!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:29pm
post #16 of 16

Cake balls are one of my most popular items. I find that they are best if I don't use too much frosting or creamer to bind them together. My first ones were too mushy because of that. I also love to use my 3 wire pastry blender to mix it together. This keeps them just the right texture for me. I use homemade, canned frosting, raspberry jam or liquid coffee creamers for my binders. I think my favorite for chocolate is the chocolate, raspberry jam I made this year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%