Wasc/egg Question

Baking By janelwaters Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:59am by ShabbyChic_Confections

janelwaters Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 15

I am having to make a huge batch of WASC and I really don't want to seperate the eggs and I don't want to be left with a TON of egg yolks?

Can I just use the whole egg (I know the cake wouldn't be white, but that doesn't matter to me). Can I do it even (8 eggs instead of just 8 egg whites) or do I need to do some ratio (6 eggs instead of 8 egg whites). Will this change the texture of the cake and make it terrible???

I hope this made sense!

Thank you so much for any of your help!!

14 replies
tracycakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 15

The last several times I made it, I just used whole eggs. Instead of 8 egg yolks, I used 4 eggs and it came out tasting great and it was moist. Hope that helps!

janelwaters Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 15

LOVE YOU!! Thank you so much!!!!! I just was wondering what I was going to do with 32 egg yolks!!

ok - off to bake!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 15

If you use my *original* WASC recipe it uses whole eggs - always has.

jlsheik Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 15

Kakeladi....I searched for your recipe w/ whole egg but I'm not finding it.
If you don't mind posting us a link icon_wink.gif I know I would appreciate it. I have often wondered this myself, if you have to alter the egg amount if using the whole egg.
TIA....Laura

marccrand Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 15

To compensate the liquid volume, I always use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites.

janelwaters Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 15

I haven't seen the *original* recipe either! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have it!! I hate seperating eggs and I always feel like I am just wasting so many egg yolks and it just kills me!!

Can you please post that recipe for us!!

thank you all so much for all of your help!!

I halved the eggs and used 4 instead of 8 egg whites - my first one is in the oven now....we will see how it turns out!

thecakebox Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 15

Here is the kakeladi's WASC in case she doesn't see this...hth.

Ingredients

1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp salt
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

Directions

In a bowl, mix first three ingredients. (See notes below) Set aside.

Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.

This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.

Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefer to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time.

Special NOTES:
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire whisk.

janelwaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 15

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! This one seems so much easier than the other!!!

cutthecake Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 15

kakeladi,
I just posted in another forum (under Wilton Buttercream/WASC question). I hope yu can help. I made a round, two-layer WASC, and it split down the middle after I cut out three slices. Any iadea what went wrong?
Thanks.

kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you thecakebox for posting my recipeicon_smile.gif I could not connect to the internet for some 24 hrs until my DH got here from a trip....I am electronicly challenged icon_sad.gif

loriemoms Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 15

The original recipe is as follows, incase anyone is interested. (and you can't get emulsion) I am surprised you didn't include oil in your recipe as it is very important.

Ingredients
2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream
8 large egg whites

Directions
1 Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
2 Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3 Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan a little over half full.
4 Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
5 Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.
6 Baking time varies according to the size and depth of pans being used.
7 I used Bake Even Strips on my cake pans to ensure a level-topped cake which required absolutely no trimming-- I highly recommend these, or good quality professional baking pans.
8 In 2" deep pans, this recipe makes:
9 One 14" round and one 6" round
10 or One 16" round
11 or One 12" round and one 10" round
12 or One 12 X 18" sheet cake
13 or One 12" round and one 8" round and one 6" round
14 or Two 9" squares.
15 or 5 dozen cupcakes.
16 Half the recipe makes:
17 Two 7" rounds
18 or Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes.
19 For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.
20 For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe.
21 For berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.
22 For lemon cake: substitute lemon juice for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe, use 6 whole eggs instead of the whites, stir in 1 Tblsp lemon zest, and use 1 tsp of a good lemon extract in place of the almond.
23 For white chocolate: melt 8oz white baking chocolate & cool slightly. use 6 whole eggs in the recipe instead of the whites, temper the chocolate by stirring in a small amount of the batter, then add the white chocolate to the entire batter and stir well. Doesn't bake up quite as high as the original, so add a pinch more batter to the pans.

jnmgreen Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #13 of 15

I'm new to this. Can you tell me what WASC stands for? thanks

janelwaters Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #14 of 15

I had to search FOREVER to figure out what WASC meant - White Almond Sour Cream Cake. - - BEST CAKE EVER!

My turned out great - instead of 8 egg whites I used 4 whole eggs. I have more cakes for next weekend and I am going to use Kakeladies ORIGINAL recipe!

thank you all so much for all of your help!! I posted the beer mug cake that I did, and i will post the tigger and pooh cake as soon as I get the pics emailed to me. It was for my daughter's birthday and I forgot the card for my camera!! STUPID ME!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #15 of 15

save

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%