Gift Box Lid That Is Not Propped Open

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking for info on how to make a gift box cake with the lid still on. So far everything I am finding is for gift box lids that are open. I am thinking I do this with fondant panels, but am not sure. Perhaps, GP or SugarVeil... If anyone could offer insight, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!!

4 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 5

I found this on YouTube. It's a series so if this video doesn't cover what you want, look under related videos for the rest of the series for this project. HTH!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZOyvzjQo0&feature=related

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Just this morning I typed up some directions for how I made my box lid. I think I'll just pm them to you because they weren't very eloquent directions but I tried to be concise. icon_smile.gif Here's the cake I made:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1233395

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

How I do mine:

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you again Sharon!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%