Topsy Turvy Flopped-Help

Business By cecerika Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:52am by littlecake

cecerika Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:59am
post #1 of 6

The subject states it all. I'm afraid to try another,but just took an order. I think my problem for the first was the recipes. I used the Cake Doctor, Choc. and Bridal White. Both tastes delis, but afraid they are too moist. Any recipes that hold up and delis???? They want marble. Do I just use more eggs to make dense, etc. Feeling stupid that I don't know enough about the whole baking process. Hey, I like to decorate, not bake.Please help!!!!!

5 replies
Trance Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:12am
post #2 of 6

I'm about to do my 1st one this weekend....and doing one teir chocolate,yellow and marble so I would love to hear any suggestions also. I'm really nervous about this cake!! icon_cry.gif

Trance

amoos Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:21am
post #3 of 6

I use the dr'd cake mixes too....what exactly went wrong with yours? I know alot do the topsy turvey but don't taper at the bottom, since that can make it a little more unstable. I have only made 3 (only uploaded 1 photo though) but haven't had any problems. I found it much more stable after I decided not to taper the bottom and of course I used straw supports and a center dowel. But maybe if you tell us what went wrong it would be easier to help you. Also, partially freezing your cake makes it MUCH easier to carve so that it won't crumble and then after you put on the crumb coat you can move it around a bit more.

cecerika Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 6

I did taper a lot at the bottom. I will not do this the next time. Thanks so far for all the replies. I've never put a dowel through all tiers before on any of my cakes, but I guess I'll have too. That sounds scary too!!!

littlecake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

i don't taper the bottom either...it doesn't look as cool...but it's so much more stable...

i don't use plates between the tiers....so i use skewers to spike all the way thru them at different angles.

if you freeze a cake it becomes more stable...i don't know why.some of the pastry chefs here prolly know the science behind it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%