Question About Christmas Gift

Decorating By karateka Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:56am
post #1 of 4

My mom is hard to buy for. All she likes is dogs. I just have such issues trying to find new dog stuff every year. I mean she has tons of coffee mugs, clocks, posters/wall hangings, afghans, you name it. Specifically she loves Golden Retrievers.

Now I like Goldens as much as the next guy. But I just can't find anything to buy her this year that doesn't nauseate me. I know it's not about me, but seriously....there are only so many unique Golden Retriever gifts.

Do you think a bouquet of sugar flowers of her favorite flower in a nice vase would be an appropriate gift? It would be hand made, so the time involved would be part of the gift. Plus she could keep them for a long time if she was careful. Just a harebrained notion, let me know your thoughts....

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, you are right. There are only so many dog things which can be collected. As much as she enjoys them, and it keeps her busy - dusting them - it's time to move on.

I think the flowers would be a lovely gift. I love getting flowers from my kids. Or how about a day at a spa, if possible, or booking a traveling massage therapist coming to her home to give her a rub-down?

And if it absolutely has to be dog-related:

Has she ever been to a dog show? You should check with the American Kennel Club, and find out of there are any registered dog clubs near you. Then ask the clubs if they sponsor a dog show, or if they know of any near where you are.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

How about a bracelet or necklace that you can add a dog charm to each year? You can still make the flowers, or buy a small bouquet and add the charm to the ribbon or bow.
Or add them to a cake on those wire things that stick up and curl around the ends.
That way you don't even have to think about what you're going to get her.
Hope this is helpful.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 4

Wow, those are some good ideas.

I know the massage won't do, because she is one of those "don't touch me" sorts. But the dog charm and the dog show might be good ideas. Thanks!!

I've got some checking/shopping to do...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%