Please Help Me With @#&*! Servings!!

Decorating By Zamode Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:12am by PinkZiab

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to get something going for myself basically through my husband's work right now. He asked me for a price list to take in and I spent plenty of time trying to find the right charts and information for a decent-sized (non-Wilton) but not oversized cake (bigger than average). I more or less took my info from Earlene's and PastryWiz.

It seems the "average" size is 1 1/2"x2"x4". Earlene says for an oval 9x13 is 40 servings but I don't see a (cake slice) size listed. PastryWiz has a 9x13 as 48 servings for the 1 1/2x/2x4. I put down 48 servings for the 9x13 at $1.50 a slice and just rounded it to $70. I had an order all set to go until I let the woman know the price and now all of a sudden, (bridal shower cake), the other bridesmaids are taking care of the cake.

I want to be fair and in tune with the average home baker so what sizes should I be going by? I think $1.50 is fair, I am in a rural area and most people use WallyWorld (Walmart) or the local supermarkets. There is one gourmet shop in my town, they do mostly food but offer cakes. I don't know how they are doing with cakes. There have been three bakeries that have gone out of business in my area in the 8 years that I have lived here so I don't have much to compare my prices with besides the cheap guys (Wally and supermarket).

I also told her I would have to charge for delivery, she was having the shower at least 45 minutes from me, if not further.

Babbling aside, would some kind decoratiing soul please let me know what sizes you go by for your cakes! This is driving me nuts. I've also added in my price list that the servings are based upon the 1 1/2x2x4 size, for a double layer, and if you want bigger pieces, you need more cake.

A few people told me I should charge more money and a few told me my servings are way off (too many). HELP icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 8

someone told me that a party serving size is a 1 1/2x2x4(or 3 torted) and that they average at $2 per serving. i dont know for certain, this is just what i was told by a friend who does this.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:31am
post #3 of 8

It is very hard for people to imagine how much cake a 1 1/2x2x4 piece is icon_sad.gif
A so called party serving is usually 2x2x2 - which is the same amount of cake as 1x2x4. It generally is ample for moste people as a dessert following a meal.
Maybe you could cut some cake up into those serving sizes and take pix of it so they can actually see how much cake it is.
I always kept a piece of styrofoam to show people.

$1.50 per serving is *nothing*! People should look at the pricing in resturants for desserts. Usually there is nothing under $3.00 and probably more like $3.50.

BUTTLE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BUTTLE Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:49am
post #4 of 8

I'm coming def coming to the US for a holiday if you guys only pay icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:39am
post #5 of 8

Here are pics of 1x2x4 pieces of cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785
It's a nice dessert sized piece of cake. I tell folks it's about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich (a description I got from another CC'er) and most people respond with "Oh! Well, that's just fine then!"

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the visual, IndyDebi, that is a decent sized piece of cake. Do you think that amount of servings for that size pan is correct? I haven't measured, going by what Pastry Wiz said.....

It just seems a shame to pay for a good meal at a nice place and more than likely skimp on the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 8

The good news is that square or rectangle cakes are easy to figure serving sizes because you just have to do the math.

Single layer 9x13, when cut in the standard 2x2x2 pieces, means you will cut the cake in approx 4 rows by 6 columns (24 pieces). A double layer, when cut in 1x2x4 pieces, will be approx 9 rows by 6 columns = 54, so your 48 number sounds good .... just be sure they understand they are getting a double layer cake. Around here, sheet cakes are single layer, so if I told someone a 9x13 served 48, they'd think I was crazy ... until I explain it's a 2-layer cake.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #8 of 8

I also live in NJ (formerly lived in Sussex Cty but I grew up in Essex and am back there until next year when I move to Mercer), and basically, you're not gonna win over the people with the costco/wally world mentality. There are basically two kinds of people when it comes to cake: Those are want quality and are willing to pay what it's worth, and those who just want something "nice" but don't want to pay a lot because "well I can get it at costco for $15... and it's ONLY cake"

My base price is $4 a slice... I don't turn my oven on for less than $150... if they don't want to pay, then they don't get the cake, plain and simple. The key is to get your name out among people who are willing to pay what you are worth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%