Why Does Wilton Say "don't Use Butter" In Their Pa

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm by indydebi

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 14

I recently bought the sports ball pan and am planning to use it for a mouseketeer hat this weekend. I saw on the instruction sheet "Generously grease inside of pan with Wilton Cake Release or solid vegetable shortening. Do not use butter, margarine, or liquid vegetable oil." Why do they say that? I always use butter and have never had any problems with cakes coming out or with pan discoloration. Are they just stating their preference, or is there really a reason you shouldn't use butter in their pans? Thanks!

13 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #2 of 14

Butter is most likely to burn and leave a awful tasting crust than shortening which has a much higher temperature tolerance. I always use vegetable shortening with flour or the Cake Release. Hope this helps.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:07am
post #3 of 14

You can always make your own cake release.

Just use equal amounts of flour, veg oil and shortening.

Just mix until well blended. I just store it in a ziploc plastic container type thingy. You can store it in your pantry or fridge. When ready to use you may want to give it a quick mix first! Works really well. I usually take the cake out of the pan after 10 minutes and no problems yet. Works just as well as the cake release you can buy!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:35am
post #4 of 14

Love some form of cake release in the ball pan (I use the Pam with Flour spray)

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:11am
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the tip xstitcher!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:40am
post #6 of 14

never thought of that before-i've always used pam spray and flour (i guess they would work together then) plus i don't let my cake sit too long in the pan-10 mins and they are out i never heard of pamwith flour before-i'll have to look for some

Hawkette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 14

Ah hah, Bijoudelanuit. Thanks!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCakes13

Thanks for the tip xstitcher!

Anytime! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 14

that homemade cake release is awesome..........I bought some empty squirt bottles and when I make it I fill a couple up with it......so convenient!! And it works wonderfully!!

Hawkette Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #10 of 14

Hmm, I tried the homemade cake release last weekend, but none of my cakes came out in one piece. icon_sad.gif I've never really had a problem with that, although this was a new recipe, so I don't know whether to blame it on the tenderness of the cake or the cake release. I guess I'll have to try the same recipe with butter or other greases to experiment. Darn - more cake. icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #11 of 14

I'll have to try the homemade stuff! I tried the Wilton stuff and it works VERY well....but I noticed it also has tons of preservatives, which my 3 yo son cannot have...he has chronic urticaria (hives) and any sort of preservative really makes it worse. I am using it on my clients cakes but I almost feel bad giving THEM something with extra chemicals in it as well.

When its gone, I think I'll make my own...I get tired of the crisco/flour two step mess.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Butter is most likely to burn and leave a awful tasting crust than shortening which has a much higher temperature tolerance. I always use vegetable shortening with flour or the Cake Release. Hope this helps.

agree. in my experience, butter would 'fry' the cake while in the pan. since the ball pan is so deep and it has to bake for quite some time to make sure the center is done, the odds are good that the butter would have an adverse effect. Remember, butter has a lowering melting point than shortening .... a lower tolerance for heat.

Hawkette Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 14

You know your stuff, indydebi. Perhaps it was just the recipe. Do you like the homemade mix?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 14

I've never used the homemade pan grease. I use, in order of preference, CK Brand Pan Grease; wilton's Cake Release; just plain 'ole Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%