Icing A Frozen Cake

Decorating By twffjj Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm by vrmcc1

twffjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twffjj Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #1 of 12

I baked my cakes and froze them. Do they need to be completely defrosted before I fill them and ice them?
I am using a strawberry filling and buttercream.

11 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #2 of 12

I never defrost mine to ice them, I always freeze torte fill and buttercream them!! Works for me!

hth

Jessica icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 12

You will wnat to frost your cake while it is still frozen, it makes it much easier. It will defrost gradually as you work on it. . I freeze my cakes for about two hours then take it out and torte and fill it. Now that your cake is a frozen brick it may be hard to torte. I have done this before too, you just have to use a really sharp knife and work your way around till you break through.
Also once it is frosted I put it in the fridge so it continues to thaw and sweats less. I hope that helped, I am new to decorating too. This site is unbeatable for cake advice. thumbs_up.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #4 of 12

I would say to let them thaw completely. If you frost them before they thaw, the condensation that is released from the cake during thawing could have an impact on your icing since that moisture would be trapped in between the cake and the layer of icing.

I've actually tried this once & the icing kind of bubbled & wanted to start coming off the cake. Actually, that cake wasn't even really frozen, it was just very cold (had it in the freezer for maybe 30 minutes as an experiment). I can't think of any other reason it would have done this other than the fact that I had it in the freezer before frosting it because that is the only time I tried doing that & the only time the icing wanted to come off like that. I haven't tried the experiment again to see if I get the same effects or not, perhaps someone else would have the answer to the question of this happening all the time on a partially frozen or very cold cake?????

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 12

I never frost mine totally frozen. I find that my buttercream freezes up too fast and I can't smooth it as much as I like to. I will take it out of the freezer as I start to make my icing or as I get my icing ready. I give it just a little time to sit before I start on it.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #6 of 12

I would let them thaw. Whenever I need to freeze, I fill and crumb coat. Then I freeze, then thaw completely before the final coat of bc.

Jibbies

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 12

I let mine thaw completely. I find I can't get the icing smooth if it is cold.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I would let them thaw. Whenever I need to freeze, I fill and crumb coat. Then I freeze, then thaw completely before the final coat of bc.

Jibbies

Ditto....exactly what I've been doing and works well thumbs_up.gif

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #9 of 12

I personally frost mine frozen. It's easier to me and less crumbs. I hate crumbs! But it just your personal preference.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #10 of 12

I've tried to frost frozen cakes and I always end up with pits in my BC... no other way to describe it- and I'm not sure why.
I prefer to let them thaw.

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #11 of 12

I will admit I did frost a cake that totally frozen and when it thawed it buckled. I don't know why but it did and I was really pissed off because I could n't fix. And you can see it in my pictures. Then on the other hand I have not any more isssues like that I pretty much figured the frosting has a mind of its own. LOL.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 12

I would not advise torting nor icing while frozen. I have had stiches in my hand twice from trying to torte a frozen cake and your icing may crack and pit while your cake is unthawing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%