Half Sheet Cake And Cake Mixes

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm by pinkpiggie78

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 12

I need to make a half sheet cake for Friday (my first) and I always use the Cake MIx doctor for Recipes. When I make a sheet cake, do I make two layers using a single "cake box" recipe or do I do two in the pan and torte it? Is a single cake box enough for a 1/2 sheet or do I need to use two per layer? I don't want a high cake... just about 3 inches high...

Any help would be appreciated!

11 replies
Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 12

I always like to use Alice's cake pricing matrix. It's an Excel spreadsheet that lists how many cups of batter you need for each type of pan and how many cups a box mix will yield.

I just searched for it, though, and I believe the thread I discovered it on was lost in the crash. Perhaps someone here knows where to find the file or how to contact Alice?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 12

Hi,
A standard commercial 1/2 sheet 2" high pan (12 x 18") holds 14 cups of batter, according to the Wilton chart. I believe a cake mix undoctored yields about 4 -6 cups of batter, so you would need at least 2 mixes, maybe 3 if you want to just bake 1 layer and torte. If you do just decide to bake 1 layer I recommend turning your oven down 25 degrees and use bake even strips so that the cake bakes slowly and more evenly. You can also place a couple of flower nails in as a heating core, but I don't usually with this size pan.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 12

The WASC cake (doctored mix) yields a tad over 14 cups of batter (using DH white cake mixes):

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

HTH

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 12

I love those cake strips! I forgot to put them on my "leftover" cake mix cakes and ugh... I forgot what cakes look like without them!

Alright... I will put at least two mixes in the half sheet and see how thick it is. I would rather bake two layers than torte a half sheet (Imagining the cake in about 30 pieces....).

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 12

It helps to freeze the half sheet cake before trying to torte it. I have a very thin and flat cookie sheet that I use to slide the top layer off with and then back on.

I use about 2 1/2 mixes to get a good heigth on my half sheet cakes.

HTH

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with JanH. WASC recipe yields a half sheet easy (with DH box mixes). Use cake pan strips as well.

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, stupid question, what are cake pan strips?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 12

They are a Wilton product that you soak in water and wrap around the pan. They make the cake bake more evenly. They are worth the small investment.

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, okay I've seen those before but didn't know if that's what you were talking about. I thought about getting some but didn't know if they were really worth it. Nice to know thank you!

scrapper42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapper42 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 12

I was just wondering on the 11X15 pan (Half Sheet I think), is it necessary to torte if you do two cake mixes in one pan? Just curious. Want to make sure I do it right and no mess ups. making 1st baby shower cake for Saturday.

Thanks,
Scrapper42

pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 12

I can't really answer your question, Scrapper42, but I will say that I used a double Cake Mix doctor cake recipe for one layer in an 11x15x2 and it came out to be a two inch tall layer! I baked two layers and the cake looked huge! I would rather not torte a big cake like that, especially considering I am just learning, so next time, I think I will make three mixes at once and divide it in half.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%