Half Sheet Cake And Cake Mixes

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm by pinkpiggie78

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 12

I need to make a half sheet cake for Friday (my first) and I always use the Cake MIx doctor for Recipes. When I make a sheet cake, do I make two layers using a single "cake box" recipe or do I do two in the pan and torte it? Is a single cake box enough for a 1/2 sheet or do I need to use two per layer? I don't want a high cake... just about 3 inches high...

Any help would be appreciated!

11 replies
Hawkette Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 12

I always like to use Alice's cake pricing matrix. It's an Excel spreadsheet that lists how many cups of batter you need for each type of pan and how many cups a box mix will yield.

I just searched for it, though, and I believe the thread I discovered it on was lost in the crash. Perhaps someone here knows where to find the file or how to contact Alice?

Deb_ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 12

A standard commercial 1/2 sheet 2" high pan (12 x 18") holds 14 cups of batter, according to the Wilton chart. I believe a cake mix undoctored yields about 4 -6 cups of batter, so you would need at least 2 mixes, maybe 3 if you want to just bake 1 layer and torte. If you do just decide to bake 1 layer I recommend turning your oven down 25 degrees and use bake even strips so that the cake bakes slowly and more evenly. You can also place a couple of flower nails in as a heating core, but I don't usually with this size pan.

JanH Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 12

The WASC cake (doctored mix) yields a tad over 14 cups of batter (using DH white cake mixes):

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #5 of 12

I love those cake strips! I forgot to put them on my "leftover" cake mix cakes and ugh... I forgot what cakes look like without them!

Alright... I will put at least two mixes in the half sheet and see how thick it is. I would rather bake two layers than torte a half sheet (Imagining the cake in about 30 pieces....).

Suzycakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 12

It helps to freeze the half sheet cake before trying to torte it. I have a very thin and flat cookie sheet that I use to slide the top layer off with and then back on.

I use about 2 1/2 mixes to get a good heigth on my half sheet cakes.

No-goodLazyBum Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with JanH. WASC recipe yields a half sheet easy (with DH box mixes). Use cake pan strips as well.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, stupid question, what are cake pan strips?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 12

They are a Wilton product that you soak in water and wrap around the pan. They make the cake bake more evenly. They are worth the small investment.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, okay I've seen those before but didn't know if that's what you were talking about. I thought about getting some but didn't know if they were really worth it. Nice to know thank you!

scrapper42 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 12

I was just wondering on the 11X15 pan (Half Sheet I think), is it necessary to torte if you do two cake mixes in one pan? Just curious. Want to make sure I do it right and no mess ups. making 1st baby shower cake for Saturday.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 12

I can't really answer your question, Scrapper42, but I will say that I used a double Cake Mix doctor cake recipe for one layer in an 11x15x2 and it came out to be a two inch tall layer! I baked two layers and the cake looked huge! I would rather not torte a big cake like that, especially considering I am just learning, so next time, I think I will make three mixes at once and divide it in half.

Quote by @%username% on %date%