Slumber Party Help Please!

Lounge By shelbur10 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 12:32am by cakelover25

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:08am
post #1 of 17

My DD is having a slumber party for her 9th birthday this Saturday. She's having 3 friends over, all 8 or 9. I'm planning some games, mani/pedi/facials and a pizza bar, but I'd really like to do some kind of craft so the girls can make something to take home. Any creative ideas out there for something fun, age appropriate and won't cost me a fortune in supplies? Any interesting game and movie ideas are welcome, too, I really don't want to do the same ol' things everyone else does.
Last year they all decorated their own cakes, but I want to do something new, plus I don't have time to bake and prep the stuff for the cakes.

16 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 17

Mabe they can make jewelry (beads)

Enjoy!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 17

Painting T-shirts?

Painting/decorating a bag or purse?

Jewlery making?

Clay projects?

Cookies?

Easy candy making... Pretzels stuck into marshmallows dipped in candy melts. Pretzels and cookies dipped into candy melts.

Check out Walmarts craft section to see what they have on clearance kit wise. I know there is a half of an aisle at ours that is clearance stuff.

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #4 of 17

Maybe they could each make a mini scrapbook. You could print out a few pics of them that night on your printer at home. Or they could decorate a picture frame and put their pic in it. They could use stickers to decorate. According to what kind of frame you chose, they might be able to use sticky-back foam shapes.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #5 of 17

I was going to suggest the picture frame too! Take a group shot as soon as everyone is there and print out for them. You can get the foam stuff at Michaels pretty cheap, and it shouldn't make a huge mess either.

I also like the idea of decorating cookies. you can have the cookies and the icings ready and let them go at it.

GOOD LUCK!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 17

I like the idea of going to walmart in the craft section too!

There are some really neat stuff that you can get for a good price sometimes!

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:52am
post #7 of 17

Once when my nieces were visiting I bought some small canvas' and let them paint a picture they could take home and hang on their wall. I framed the picture by gluing ribbon or popsicle sticks around the edges. I let them use regular cheap acrylic paint that's like $1 a bottle.

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 17

How about buying each of the girls a plain white pillowcase and having an assortment of fabric markers. Each of the girls can make their own special pillowcase to have from the sleepover.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 17

I bought flip-flops on clearance at Michael's and went to wal-mart to get some silk flowers. The flowers were very cheap and come in a bunch! My daughter and her friends had a good time!

There was a hot glue gun involved though.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 17

How about getting some of that puffy fabric paint and some inexpensive white t-shirts or boxers, and letting them decorate them? I believe you need to run an iron over them for a couple of seconds to make them puff, but that shouldn't be too much for you.

shelbur10 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies! I'm going to hit WalMart's craft dept. on my lunch hour tomorrow (sadly, no Michael's within 75 miles!)

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #12 of 17

My suggestion is to let them each decorate their own small cake. I did taht for my daughters party last year and she still has girls asking her what is she doing this year which she will turn 13. they had a blast.. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif
faye

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 17

I love the pillow case idea! You can also get special paper to transfer images to fabric, you could take a whole group picture add "DD 9th Birthday Sleepover" and print out. You just have to iron the pictures onto the pillowcase, then let the girls go wild decorating.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 17

I too love the pillow case idea. They will probably use them a lot after the party as well.

shelbur10 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I stopped by Walmart and nearly fell in the floor when I saw the price of plain pillowcases!! $9 for 2 plain pillowcases? Am I just cheap or what? But I did find a really cool kit in the crafts department to make 'fashion' wristbands. Everything included to make 12 bands for only $9.88. Looks pretty cool, I sure hope the girls like it!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 17

Oh Shellie first of all no Michaels within 75 miles I'm sorry!

Second OUCH on the pillow case cost (wonder if a DollarTree would have some?). I like the fashion wrist band idea sounds cute!

HAVE FUN!!!!!

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #17 of 17

An idea that we did for my daughter's birthday was to purchase small wooden boxes at walmart for about @2, they were unfinnished and I gave the girls paint, glitter pens, sequins and glue. It was a little messy but they each make a great little box for jewelry, etc that they took home.

Have a fun party

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%