Help With Design Of Wedding Cake/flowers

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm by lovinkakes

aswartzw Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to a cake of this structure for my wedding. With 4" cakes, what spacing will I need between the tiers to get this look? I am planning on using SPS for the cake supports.

Also, I have never done gumpaste flowers between tiers before. What is the best way to stick them in? In addition, I've never put flowers on top of cakes before. They won't be so heavy that I need another support for them will they?

I will be using a mixture of tulips, roses, stephanotis, and sweet peas (the latter for fillers). Any guess on how many of each I should make for a 4 tier cake to look just like this?

I will be starting the flowers in the next few weeks. Any recommendations on cutters for these and the needed leaves? I'm assuming rose leaves and the long leaves (tulip ones) will be sufficient? There are just so many options it is way too confusing. icon_wink.gif

Wish me luck! My gumpaste flower experience ended with fondant roses from Course III and some gerbera daisies. But I'm starting now to give myself plenty of time for a reason! icon_rolleyes.gif

The link...,,20175325_20396971,00.html

In case it doesn't go to the right picture, it's cake #4 in classic cakes.

9 replies
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 10

I would say there is about 4" between those tiers, like the distance from one cake to another...looks like the same thickness as each cake layer to me. It's a gorgeous cake and you're going to need a TON of flowers.....I would say to you to maybe get some foam to go in between the layers and then as you make/dry the flowers start sticken' em' in the foam until you have enough and then make some extras for breakage! I hope you're charging a TON because it's going to be a lot of work!

aswartzw Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Khalstead. The 4" spacing was my guess too. I was hoping you'd say foam would go in the middle because that was the only way I could figure out how to do it.

One other question that I just thought of... Do I need to dowel the cake that will be supporting the styrofoam and flowers? Or will they not be heavy enough to matter?

stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10

wow, I hope you're not getting married any time in the next year or else maybe you plan on making gumpaste flowers a full time job? : ) I can't even imagine how long that will take. Of course I agree with KHalstead. Purchase 3" or 4" styrofoam dummies and start putting the flowers in as soon as they dry, I would have no idea how many to make, your best bet is to just start putting the dummies together and keep going til they are full. Once you have your flowers wired, you can just stab them right into the dummies. And make a few extra flowers for each tier because they can be very fragile. I just got a fantastic book last week called Sugar Flowers by Jill Maytham. someone said they started out making gumpaste flowers by copying her cutter shapes in the book and then using that as a template to cut our their flowers with an exacto knife, that way you don't waste too much on cutters. In your case, you will definitely need cutters to make so many but at least her book can walk you through which cutters to purchase. Your cake is going to be gorgeous!

kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 10

As has been suggested I'd get some styro rounds maybe 3" thick (rather than 4") and less in diamater as the cake going on it (the top would be a 6" cake so the styro should be about 4"). If the next tier is a 10" round, then the styro should be 6" etc. This will help cut down on how many flowers you will need and still it will look really nice.
Soooo when is the big day??

KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #6 of 10

definitely dowel the cakes.......because it's not a matter of just supporting the styro on top but all of the other cakes on top that need the support. But you said you're using the SPS system?? Those have the legs that you put into the plates so that's all you'll need!

aswartzw Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by KHalstead

definitely dowel the cakes.......because it's not a matter of just supporting the styro on top but all of the other cakes on top that need the support. But you said you're using the SPS system?? Those have the legs that you put into the plates so that's all you'll need!

Sorry. I realize I'm doweling the cakes. I've done too many stacked not to dream of doing that. icon_lol.gif
I wasn't sure if I'd need to dowel the styrofoam which would be on top of the cakes. Judging from your answer, I don't have to do that which just makes my job much easier.

Kakeladi, thanks for your suggestions. I definitely think I'll do that.

Stephanie, I'll look into that book. I'm definitely a book learner. I'm looking at ordering from Jennifer Dontz and requesting some directions. I plan on starting the flowers within the next month. Blah. I'll be so tired of doing flowers that I may never touch one again!!! I've decided that if it's too treacherous I'll just buy fake. No harm done. Generally, though, cakes are the one thing that keep me sane!

The big date is May 16, 2009! icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, you guys have been a life saver and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. thumbs_up.gif

jmt1714 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 10

many many many many flowers.

others may disagree, but I would make small bunches of flowers and have some remaining as singles and arrange after stacking. If you pre arrange the flowers on the foam prior to stacking the cake, you are going to inadvertantly crush some as you stack. if you have the bunches of flowers ready to go, once you stack the cake it likely takes another hour or so to place all the flowers.

Long nose pliers are your best friend. also - I tend to wire heavier gauge wire on the ends of all of my bunches to make it easier to insert as well as increase the flexibility of each individual bunch (the thinner wire to which the blooms are attached flexes a bit more and gives me some "wiggle room" while the heavier wire on the bottom of the stem allows me to easily insert the arrangement)

aswartzw Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks jmt1714! I was afraid that I might crush the flowers by pre-filling but your suggestion will eliminate that.

Okay, now a really stupid question, what gauge wire do you call flexible and what gauge sturdy?

lovinkakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 10

I thought those were real flowers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%