Fishing Rod Suggestions

Decorating By marrenistvan Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 3:29am by kimmypooh79

marrenistvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marrenistvan Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

I am getting ready to start on a baby shower cake. When I asked the client what she had in mind, she sent me this picture her mother-in-law found of a diaper cake. The shower is themed after it. So, most of the diaper cake is pretty easy to replicate (or so it seems), but I am a little stumped on the fishing rod. I am a novice with fondant/gumpaste, so need some suggestions. I was thinking of using a short dowel and wrapping it with fondant, but that's as far as I've gotten. Hopefully I attach the picture correctly!
LL

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not able to see the pic icon_sad.gif
Seems to me a dowel will be too thick (fat). Maybe a short(ened) kabob stick? An extra long toothpick? Just be sure to tell customer it is not edible so no one gets it stuck in their throat icon_sad.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 6

How about a cookie pop/sucker stick?

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 6

I downloaded the pic. Is the fishing rod little and behind the bobber? I think, even though you haven't used gumpaste before....you could just make a little rope with the gumpaste and let it dry. Make one end just a little thinner than the other. Then you could make a paint with brown gel and a little extract. Lightly paint the rod and don't blend the brush strokes, that way it will sort of look like a wood grain. Does that make sense? You could always do the bamboo skewer if you didn't care that it's not edible. Hope this helps and isn't confusing... icon_lol.gif

Mistee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mistee Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

Hi icon_smile.gif I actually was looking at the wilton.com site and ran across this earlier which I thought was cute:

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Reel-Fun-Day

I couldn't see the pic you posted icon_sad.gif But I hope that link might help!

Have a great night! icon_smile.gif

Misty

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

I would use a salt free pretzel stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%