Did This Cake Need A Border?

Decorating By crl Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm by annacakes

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 13

Do you think I should have put a border on this cake? I am making a cake similar to this for this weekend, and am wondering if I should do a border. Any comments would be appreciated.
LL

12 replies
amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 13

I think you did a great job on the cake. I don't think it needs a border, it is beautiful the way it is. One question, how do you get your cake so flat and so round? Mine always seem to get a little bit lopsided or uneven.

bakerwannabe23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerwannabe23 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 13

The cake looks Great! I wouldn't add a border....might look like too much?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 13

It looks great the way it is ! A border might be to much ! Your edges look great why not show them off !

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 13

Ditto, why mess with a good thing?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 13

I agree...it's close to perfect, and your edges are awesome-nice job!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 13

If anything maybe a tiny bead border at the bottom but I would keep it the same color as the rest of the icing so it doesn't take away from the decorations, definitely nothing at the top though, great job on smoothing it!

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you for all the feedback!

Amyfj1 - I owe the flat top and straight round sides to Sugarshack. I invested in her buttercream DVD. It has proven to be invaluable. A cliffnotes version is you use a hot bench scraper to smooth the sides and a small cake spatula to take the icing off the top. You hold the spatula horizontally while pushing the icing back away from the edge. Does that make sense? I really would recommend getting the DVD.

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 13

I think it looks great! My opinion would be, to add the green stems all the way around on the bottom. The flower on the bottom left looks really cute with the way you made the stem on it. So, I think if you would add it all the way around or to each of the flowers at the bottom it would look just as cute.. Just my opinion.. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, do what you think is right for the cake. It does look adorable! Great Job!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 13

I don't think so...I think it looks FANTASTIC as it is! Good job icon_biggrin.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 13

Perfect like it is!!!!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 13

I personally am not a fan of the boarder on most cakes. I think that the cake looks fine without one.

Stephanie

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 13

Nope.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%