Is This Enough Cake And Priced Right?

Decorating By evesloven Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:51am by CakeRN

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 10

Wedding: bride wants to feed 150. The bride's cake is going to be 3 tiers (carrot, pumpkin, carrot) w/cream cheese frosting, fondant leaves. Grooms cake is going to be a chocolate sheet cake w/choc. icing, gumpaste boat and other decorations, but these are what I was thinking for sizes since she doesn't want any left over cake (if possible)

Bride's Cake - 14", 10", 6" round, 4" thick
Groom's Cake - 11x15 sheet cake, 4" thick

Total charge $515 - includes delivery & $50 refundable deposit on my cake plates that she'll get back when I get my stuff back....so actual price is $465.

Is this enough to feed everyone? And is the price okay?

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 10

according to my charts a 14,10,6 would feed 115 including the top tier and the 11x15 is 35 more servings.

I would charge $288.75 for the two cakes, minus the gumpaste boat and stuff (since I don't know the size or complexity of it) Man I"M CHEAP!!!!!!

Don't change your price!! And as far as "is it enough cake" I always let THEM determine that........they will get the right servings out of both of those, but what if they invited 240 ppl and only think 150 will show and really 200+ show?? I would give them the option to have more or less cake.

evesloven Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I think I might do an 8" on top and give her the option of a bigger sheet cake if she wants. She has a picture of her husband's boat that is absolutely in love with, so I'm going to actually make a copy of his boat 3-D and painted to match his.... and make the top of the cake a lake and whatnot. Her cake will have fondant fall leaves cascading down the side of hers.... AND now I find out he doesn't like buttercream, but wants boiled icing - chocolate at that... sosooooo we'll see if it's possible. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for your reply.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 10

i'm not sure if this is sabotaging your thread (and i'm really not intending to) but i'm freaking out about servings and size of cake (for sat) and am looking for some reasurance (?) i'm getting such varying servings and i tried to map out my own with my own pans just to be sure to get somewhere in the middle and have enough-so here it is...to feed 45 (servings i have accounted for feed 50) 10" square (30) and 8" square (20) does that seem right to you ccers out there thanks and hope i'm not stepping on toes icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 10

For determining how many servings what size yields use Wilton's serving chart. It's really right on. Yrs ago it was off but that's been fixedicon_smile.gif
According to my figures a 14"x4" round = 77; the 10" = 39 and the 6" will give you 12 for a total of 118. For the sheet cake since it's also going to be 4" tall it would cut it in 1x2x4 pieces -- the same as the wedding cake. There should be 70 servings in that. That's a total of 188. That is the **max** # of servings it will give. If they don't cut it exact; there are fewer guests; & other factors there will be plenty of cakeicon_smile.gif
As for price....I'd say you are a bit on the low side. I'd figure at least $550 for the cake; then figure in the deposit.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

i'm not sure if this is sabotaging your thread (and i'm really not intending to) but i'm freaking out about servings and size of cake (for sat) and am looking for some reasurance (?) i'm getting such varying servings and i tried to map out my own with my own pans just to be sure to get somewhere in the middle and have enough-so here it is...to feed 45 (servings i have accounted for feed 50) 10" square (30) and 8" square (20) does that seem right to you ccers out there thanks and hope i'm not stepping on toes icon_smile.gif

My chart says a 10" square serve 50, that is if it's 4" tall. My serving size is 1x2x4" and a 8" square is 30 servings for a total of 80 servings of cake

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 10

Single or double layers??? IF they are double layers you will have PLENTY!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 10

evesloven:

according to my charts the brides cake serve 110 and a 4" high 11x15 cake serves 70, so 180 servings.

To bring it down, you could do the 11x 15" a bit shorter...

As for the price... I don't know what kind of carrot cake you make, but it doesn't seem like you're charging enough to me. The ingredient cost on my carrot cake is pretty high, with all the carrots, walnuts, raisins... so I charge more for it than my other cakes.

evesloven Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 10

Feel free to ask questions on my thread! Any info you get will help me tremendously! Lol. icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:51am
post #10 of 10

if your sheet cake is 12x18 then you should get 108 servings out of that with the 1x2x4 slice. That would be a double layer cake...not a torted one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%