Some Icing Questions I Would Like Help With.

Baking By carleen2140 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm by GeminiRJ

carleen2140 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 3

I make NFSC, these are no problem. The cookies always come out fine.
It's the icing. Yesterday I spent the whole day decorating "marine theme" cookies all different ways, and tecniques. I can honestly say the only one I like are the seagulls, that I dipped into Toba's glace. I did'nt even outline them. The rest are either Antonia's RI or Toba's glace, that I used either a bag, bottle, or toothpick to apply. # 1,2 or 3 tip.
The first thing I have a problem with is the outlining and flooding. If I follow the RI to a tee, that icing is too thin to outline, so I have to add powder sugar to it. It is also to thick to flood with, then I add water.
But what happens is I get hard outlines, and dimples on my flooding that I don't see until icing is drying, then it's too late to add more. Also if I color the icing before adjustments, then the outline becomes a lighter shade then the flooding. In other words they look like #*@&. And very dry looking, no sheen to them. Sometimes even though I use a pick to seal the line between the outline and flooding, when you look at the cookie you can see where the outline ends and the flooding meets.

Toba's glace is very thin to begin with. First I add whitener to it, so it's not transluscent. Then more and more sugar for outline, my flooding although it seems thin, it's running out the tip, it don't spread on the cookie and I have to always use a toothpick to spread it. That is time comsuming.

Any suggestions? Today my whole arm feels like it has carpel tunnel.
May I add, the results taste great, you just wouldn't want anyone to see them. icon_cry.gif TIA

2 replies
kjt Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 3

I hope you get lots of replies, I'm trying these for the first time this week!

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 3

I can only help you with the Toba's. This is what I do: I mix the icing until it is the consistency of school glue or a bit thicker. I outline the cookie with a #4 tip for large areas, and #2 for smaller areas. I immediately fill in with more icing in a zig-zag pattern, not allowing the outline icing to set. I then use an off-set spatula to spread and smooth the icing. Once the icing has set, I go back and add details with icing that has been thickened to the consistency of smooth peanut butter. I find that I get into a rythmn, and it goes pretty fast. The key is just to play with the icing until you get the consistency that you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%