Am From Down Under And I Need Help Plz:)

Decorating By pixie_dust51 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 6:31am by pixie_dust51

pixie_dust51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixie_dust51 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 14

hi there i luv this site to start off with but i hear and see alot bout *rice krispy treats*??? what are they exactely?? as we dont get them down under!! we have LCM'S which are a ricebubble cereal with marshmallow!!!!

and your crisco?? is that like solidified oil?? we have copha here which is solidified hyrdonanted coconut oil!! is this much the same or is it more like your nomal vegie oils???

also your buttercream am sooo fascinated as i have heard that you use smoothers to smooth it !! our *buttercream* is butter,icing sugar and a bit of water and colouring , and you just make it thick!!!
ohh and i forgot am facinated by your buttercream frozen charaters!!! how do you do that tis awsome thxicon_smile.gif

i would really like some help with this cause i would luv to try it out!!!! thx in advance much appreciated

nattyxoxo thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 14

Rice Krispies is a brand name of crispy rice cereal. The treats are made by mixing the cereal with melted marshmallows and butter. You can mold them and shape them, and they are very lightweight.

Crisco is a brand of all vegetable shortening in a solid form.

Buttercream frosting can be made in a variety of ways. It's base is going to be shortening, powdered sugar, liquid, and flavorings. I buy my icing (Dixie's) because it's not much more expensive to buy it than to make it, and it tastes wonderful. It can be spread in thin layers, frozen, and then cut into shapes. While it's still frozen, the shapes can be applied to cakes or cookies as decoration.

Hope this helps!

pixie_dust51 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:38am
post #3 of 14

thx GeminiRJ much appreciated icon_smile.gif

umm one more question !!! with the frozen buttercream transfer do you freeze it , then cut it to shape size you want then paint it????

thx nattyxoxoicon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:08am
post #4 of 14

Hi Natty - welcome the land of cake obsession! icon_biggrin.gif

Here is a terrific tutorial on how to make the frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT in CC speak): http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

I have a hard time finding Crisco/shortening myself, so I usually make the Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) style, which uses pasteurized egg whites and butter. Or, a frosting using Bavarian Cream...but neither of these will give you a hard crust, if that is what you want.

GeminiRJ - I never thought of freezing the frosting and cutting shapes out, but I'll be sure to borrow that idea!! Since I use a non-crusting buttercream, so I'll see how well that works first, maybe have to make a good old fashioned butter/Crisco buttercream for these accents.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:35am
post #5 of 14

GeminiRJ - just been into your gallery and my oh my!! you have some good looking cookies in there!
But now about the frozen buttercream, do you freeze it in white and then "paint" after you have cut out??
And do you put your cut outs onto your cookies as well? This sounds all so interesting as I am not one for this "flooding" bit that everyone talks about, just can't seem to get it to work.

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:59am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

GeminiRJ - just been into your gallery and my oh my!! you have some good looking cookies in there!
But now about the frozen buttercream, do you freeze it in white and then "paint" after you have cut out??
And do you put your cut outs onto your cookies as well? This sounds all so interesting as I am not one for this "flooding" bit that everyone talks about, just can't seem to get it to work.

I know right. Love your cookies too Gemini. They are beautiful cookies. Charmaine I'm positive you would be able to do these. Your icing is great and transfered to cookies would be ideal.
icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:00am
post #7 of 14

Hi there i am an aussie chick and crisco is copha (or as close as we can get) and i have always assumed rice krispies are rice bubble treats

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 14

Homemade-goodies, my buttercream does not crust, either. The transfers I do are fairly simple shapes like circles and hearts. I use tinted buttercream, smooth it onto waxed paper (maybe 1/8" thick) then place it on cookie sheets and freeze. I use cookie cutters or fondant cutters to cut the shapes, re-freeze, then apply directly to the cake.

Thanks for the nice comments on my cookies! They became an obsession after seeing all the gorgeous cookies in the CC gallery. So obsessed, I had cutters made for my 3D cookies and now sell kits! I don't use the treansfers on my cookies, as the buttercream I use doesn't crust. But if you have one that does, you could use them on cookies. The lady that I buy my icing from makes a special cookie icing that crusts, and I'm thinking about trying it as cookie transfers.

lovely Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks Gemini, I have been keeping an eye on your cookies since the first couple that you entered in the competition. Awsome cookies.
icon_smile.gif Leigh

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely

Thanks Gemini, I have been keeping an eye on your cookies since the first couple that you entered in the competition. Awsome cookies.
icon_smile.gif Leigh

Wow, that's awfully nice of you! Thank you.

Susan

pixie_dust51 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:50am
post #11 of 14

thanks for thr replies girls!!!

another quick question!! can i freeze the buttercream i dont use for later and can you do the same with marshmallow fondant????

thanks heap tis much appreciated and luv everyones woek that reolied i just onlyy hope that one day my skills will be as good as yours!!!!

nattyxoxo thumbs_up.gif

lovely Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:17am
post #12 of 14

Hello,

You can freeze buttercream. you'll have to wait for someone else to answer on the mmf but i have kept it in the fridge for a while. I use it on cookies and it was great, as for storage, I'm just not sure.
Good luck with your new found addiction.

icon_lol.gif
Cheers
icon_biggrin.gif Leigh

Ps. NP Susan. Love cakes and the art but cookie artists like you always fascinate me with the tiny art on cookies.

kretin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kretin Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:40am
post #13 of 14

Hi Natty,

I'm also in Australia. I use copha in place of crisco and has worked well for me so far.

Rice Krispy Treats are almost the same as LCMs, rice bubbles, marshmallow and butter. There are a bunch of recipies on the net for them if you want to make them, or you can buy some LCMs and mush them together for smaller things.

So far I've just used the old butter and icing sugar recipe for butter cream icing, but I plan to experiment with the shortening version. So far the butter version has done everything the shortening version does. The main benefit I think to the shortening is you can get better white. The shortening version may set a bit more solid too...

I've heard you can freeze butter cream icing, no reason why not I guess. I'd whip it up again once defrosted though. It's not recommended to freeze MMF, but there's not much need to as it'll last for weeks or even months well wrapped and in a cool place.

pixie_dust51 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:31am
post #14 of 14

hi everyone just wanted to a big thankyou for clearing a few things up for me , tis much appreciated icon_smile.gif

nattyxoxoicon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%