Stand Up Wilson House Pan

Decorating By jennywaldon Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm by stephaniescakenj

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to try a birdhouse cake theme for my MILs birthday this week She LOVES birsa and birdhouses. I want to do 2 layers of this pan for a thicker house,...right?? How do i stand this up in 2 layers and it not fall seprate? Tooth picks or something else.. I want to sit it ontop of a round cake. Help?

8 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 9

I have used this pan several times, but never done a double layer. I am not sue I would attempt that and then stand it up. Maybe someone else here can help you out more on that one.

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

thanks,...i actually just took the pan out of the box to look at. It is deeper than i thought it would be. lol Guess i should have eye balled it first.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9

I used it along on top of a sheet cake, and I think it looked good.it is in my photos if you care to see it...... I would check the galleries search under Birdhouse...I saw some REALLY neat ones in there...

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 9

I stood it up on a 12" hexagon pan, for a welcome cake (in my pics). I found it to be a good thickness. I did dowel it to the support cake, as I had to drive across town w/ it. Also, I used a firmer cake. I don't know if you use box mixes or scratch, but a simple way they recommend at the Wilton School is to use a cake mix and a pound cake mix together--just mix both mixes together w/ their appropriate additional ingredients listed on the boxes. (I got quite a few compliments on the taste of the cake, but it was so easy!)

Also (this was my first time to use the house pan)--if you use the recommended number of cups of batter, it rises up above the pan and gets pretty done on top (the part you level off). I was worried about the rest of the cake by the time it had baked--but only the top got over-done. The rest was fine. (So you don't necessarily have to panic, like I did.) icon_rolleyes.gif

I think using it for a birdhouse is a great idea! Be sure to post pics! thumbs_up.gif

KonfectionKonnection Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 9

Grama_j--I really like your house cake! Including the yard and fence, and the colors you used--very pretty!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, Thanks Konfection, but I think I'm going to steal your idea with the hexagon..... that is just DARLING ! The flowers on the side just set it off !

KonfectionKonnection Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks, grama_j! I actually borrowed the idea from an old Wilton book, Celebrations A thru Z (although they used a square pan). I love looking thru those older books, now that I've discovered e-bay. icon_rolleyes.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 9

You can bake two layers of the house and sandwich it together with icing. I did that for the wizard of oz cake in my pics. It looked more substantial that way, more of a 3-d view, rather than a flat back. I didn't dowel it or anything, just glued it together with icing and it was fine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%