How To Stack Top Tier On Clear Glass Bowl With Lit Candle??

Decorating By AmandaPanda Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm by Texas_Rose

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 16

Hey everyone I am making my best friend's wedding cake and when I asked what she wanted she said "I don't know, surprise me". OK so my idea is that this is a beach wedding only about 14 ppl will be there so it is only 2 tiers, I want to do probably a 9 or 10" round bottom tier and the top tier will be only 6" (they want to keep it) now I want to use a clear glass bowl that I got with a 6" diameter top to stack that top tier on. Inside the glass bowl I plan to used sand and seashells from the beach that they will be getting married at and I want to light a candle at the reception. My question is how can I make it so that the candle can get air and not burn out in 10 minutes? I want to use a small tea light candle so it will not have a high flame or anything. I thought abut using dashes of hot glue on the rim then putting a foil covered cake board over that to that there is a little bit of separation between those dashes of hot glue for the air to circulate a bit then putting the cake on top of that. I guess if worse comes to worse I can just skip lighting the candle but I really wanted to do something different and light the candle for extra effect. How would you go about constructing this so that the candle will stay lit?

Thanks
Amanda

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 16

They make tea light candles that are actually a LED light and a battery. They even flicker like the real thing. They should be easy to find this time of year, they sell them to use in carved pumpkins so the pumpkin doesn't accidentally catch on fire.

I found some at target: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9716901-5958555?ASIN=B000Z55RZS&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000Z55RZS|LED_Tealight_Candle_12_pk.&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000Z55RZS&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

but I'm sure you can find a smaller pack somewhere.

The added advantage would be that it will stay lit throughout the reception icon_biggrin.gif

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 16

ooo good idea I didn't even think about that! I have seen those before.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 16

Hey Amanda
Definately use the battery operated votive. Otherwise, smoke could accumulate in the glass (because of limited ventilation) and you wouldn't be able to see anything inside.

The cake sounds beautiful!

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 16

The battery one sounds like the best way, you really don't want any heat under a cake anyway. Nothing like melted icing or fondant after all that hard work.

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 16

definitely go battery operated... if you put a candle in the glass bowl and the cake on top, the lit candle will go out because of a lack of oxygen, and there will be smoke too.

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 16

Michaels has the battery operated deals...just saw them.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 16

what a wonderful idea. i hope i can make my best friend's wedding cake too. you're a great friend icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 16

Michael's has the battery operated ones, in the aisle where you find glass containers and candles, Wal-mart has them in the Halloween aisle and you can find them at the dollar tree too.

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you so much everyone!! I am so excited about this cake, it will be a simple one but I think it will end up being one of my favorite. I will be making it here traveling 8 hours with it then gathering sand and seashells and assembling it in florida.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, battery. I wanted to do a similar thing once so I put a candle and held a paper over it at the height the pillars would be (about 6") and the paper scorched really fast... meaning that the plate would have eventually melted or caught fire. Not fun! That little candle is a lot more powerful than it seems.

seebring77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seebring77 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 16

Hi, I would use those clear stones stagered on top of the bowl. Hot glue them to the bowl, then set the cake on top. Try it first. That was just my idea.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 16

When I read your idea (which I think is cool) I thought of this great cake I saw the other day on here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262496.

You could make your candle out of a small cake or cupcake (hiding the battery operated tealight with fondant or frosting) and put it in the bowl.

You probably shouldn't let anyone eat the candle cake though if you use real sand and shells! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

You probably shouldn't let anyone eat the candle cake though if you use real sand and shells! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

the sand and shells will be inside the glass bowl that will be completely covered the cake will not touch any part of the bowl that is in direct contact with the sand and shells.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 16

Lack of oxigen will make the glass explode..Battery is the way to go
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 16

Oh, I meant to tell you too, sometimes there are no nice shells on the beach (at least here in TX, maybe other beaches are better or less picked over). If you run into that problem, you can buy a bag of nice shells at Hobby Lobby icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%