Honest Opinions About Satin Ice Taste

Decorating By pinkyEm Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm by apetricek

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:57am
post #31 of 47

I dont like the taste, smell or working with Satin Ice. Its tooo soft. I find it almost impossible to cover very large pieces with. It stretches too much, even after you put the fondant on and start working with it. I also have found it to hard to smooth because its so soft, you can't get a nice smooth surface. I perfect to use massa, but can't afford it, so I use fond-x. It has almost no taste, and is easier to work with and cost the same as Satin Ice. Although I am still not a fondant expert. 90 percent of my cakes are still buttercream. I just haven't discoved the real secret of how to get fondant super smooth..I can make a smoother cake with buttercream. And most of my brides prefer buttercream as well.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:49am
post #32 of 47

Oops! I meant to say that it's me, not the recipe (Michele Foster's), that is the problem!

Also, I think I made like 3-4 pounds of fondant for about $5. Satin Ice is costing me $3 per pound. Still not bad, but that's a big savings if I made it myself!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #33 of 47

loriemoms....We are having the exact opposite problems! LOL! I can't smooth buttercream to save my life! Not that I'm an expert in the fondant field, far from it, but I can cover small cakes okay. If I could just find a crusting buttercream recipe that has butter in it......still can't get any BC to crust for me! I tell ya, I'm a buttercream/fondant recipe killer.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:34pm
post #34 of 47

I use Pettinice - LOVE it. I switched to Satin Ice because Global Sugar Art has it on sale all the time, but I just couldn't work well with it. So I have switched back to Pettinice - it is also about $3.00 a pound and so worth it for me to buy instead of make.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #35 of 47

I love mmf, I also flavor it with butter, van and creme bouquet. Yummy. I made a batch the night before last and it took me about 10 minutes total.

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #36 of 47

I only use MMF and all coments are: WHAT IS THAT FONDANT THAT YOU USE? TASTES SOO GOOD AND NOTHING LIKE OTHER FONDANTS..
I also would have to get Satin Ice over the mail and shipping costs would not be worth for me..
so If my MMF is prefered by my customers, that's what I'll keep using for now

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #37 of 47

Has anyone EVER received a positive response about Wilton fondant? To me, it tastes like something that could have come from a chemical spill at a nuclear waste facility. Why doesn't Wilton do something about it?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #38 of 47

Has anyone EVER received a positive response about Wilton fondant? To me, it tastes like something that could have come from a chemical spill at a nuclear waste facility. Why doesn't Wilton do something about it?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #39 of 47

I really love Satin Ice. I buy the 20 lb container once per week, so I can say that I have literally bought hundreds of pounds of that stuff.
One time I got a bad batch and it kept ripped and tearing and for the life of me I could not cover my cakes in it. But I never have had a problem before or since.
I don't like how it tastes, but I don't like any fondant. I use it for decoration only.

Wilton-yes it does taste terrible. But one time Into The Oven "forgot" to send my shipment and I ended up running out on a Friday and buying some. While I am sure it tasted like cr@p, the cake still looked pretty. (Pink cupcake cake in the gallery). If you are in a serious pinch like I was, it can be helpful.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #40 of 47

The only SI I've tried is the red SI... I had to make red ribbon roses. While it was a dream to work with... I really hated the taste. Maybe it was because it had so much red dye in it. I prefer MMF and actually had some kids at my nieces party peel it off to eat it and gave their moms the cake icon_surprised.gif My nephew does the same thing too (but then again... he has been known to eat bugs so what does he know icon_wink.gif )

Mel Mc.

kakemamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakemamma Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #41 of 47

my favorite fondant is pettinice, add some cheesecake flavoring to it and it has a buttercream icing taste. It is also very good by itself. Have tried all of the others in our classes and Pettinice has won hands down over the others.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #42 of 47

I dislike MMF a lot. If making fondant I prefer to use Michelle Fosters recipe. I just worked with the Albert Uster fondant a few weeks ago and it is fabulous. Incredibly easy to work with and it tastes great and smells wonderful too.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #43 of 47

I love, love, love Satin Ice! I've made MMF & worked with it but it's much too sweet to cover entire cakes with however I do like to make my decorations with it to save some cash. Everyone who tries the Satin Ice says "I thought I hated fondant but I guess not"...go figure. Wilton is just nasty. I wouldn't feed that toxic smelling, grainy awfulness to my dog. To be fair, I dislike most Wilton products though.

lgrtaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgrtaust Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #44 of 47

Satin is the best tasting fondant for me. I love it. It is easy for me to work with and I have never had a problem so far (knock on wood) Wilton fondant is horrible. It has the most unpleasant taste to it. It is a waste of money if you need to do a whole cake but for small decoartions its okay.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #45 of 47

I've tried SI and I liked the taste and it was easy to work with but it did dry out faster than anything I've used and firmed up strangely----however I'm used to MMF which never gets completely hard but you can still manage it. I've also tried Chocopan-it's tastes really good but around here with all this humidity---it wasn't even optional. It would just rip and rip. Horrible. Maybe for colder climates. I've been wanting to try Michelle Fosters.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #46 of 47

I don't eat much of any fondant, but I like to work with and the taste of both MMF and Satin Ice. I've heard so many rave reviews about Michele's fondant that I just have to try it. Ultimately, think that it's a matter of personal taste and preference.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #47 of 47

I only use Satin Ice...tried making it myself and didn't like the results of it...plus the recipe I found on here was way too costly and too time consuming..can't be bothered by it. I go to Oasis Supply and get my 20 pound bucket there (the warehouse store is 15 minutes from my house). I LOVE working with it, love the results...but I HATE the SMELL, and think it tastes gross too. I think it is s mix between eating play dough and silly putty! Although I have to say some of my customers LOVE it and would never have a cake without it. Others order it for the looks and leave it behind on the plate. I know you can flavor it, maybe that would help...not for me it is a total texture thing! tapedshut.gif I would agree with the others buy a 2 pound bucket and try the taste and how to work with it. Wilton fondant is SO YUCKY, and a pain to work with, plus you are way over paying, and you never know how long it has set on the shelf! Hope this helps and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%