Replacing Oil In Wasc ?!?!?

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 2:41am by nefgaby

nefgaby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I need your help and advice!

I need to make a "fat-free" cake (I know I know, it will not be REAL cake!) Anyway, I was thinking of doing a WASC but would like to know if there is anything I can use to replace the oil the recipe calls for, I believe it is 1/4 cup. I've heard you can use applesauce, but since I will be using a blueberry filling with fat-free cream cheese icing, I don't want any apple flavor in it. Or maybe since it is such a small amount, it wont taste like it? I don't know... please help! Need advice!

Also, does any one know if the white cake mix box does have any fat in it? Without the ingredients it calls for?? I would like to use a cake mix base, since I need it to be dense, it will be covered in fondant. The birthday boy will not eat the fondant... since it has crisco in it! icon_confused.gif I'll be making MMF.

Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
nefgaby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 10

Really, not one suggestions??? icon_sad.gif Please!!!

Ironbaker Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 10

Hi! Applesauce is a good substitute for oil there really isn't much apple taste. Granted, I've usually done this with carrot cake.

No idea about white box mixes having fat. Do you have one that you can check? Maybe the site of whichever brand it is will have the Nutritional Information listed?

Good luck nefgaby!

xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 10

I've used applesauce in several kinds of mixes and could not taste any apple in them.

nefgaby Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #5 of 10

Thanks!!! I guess I'll try that! Just one other question, that is unsweetened apple sauce, right?

JanH Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #6 of 10

kakeladi's original WASC cake recipe DOESN'T use oil:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584319-wasc.html

HTH

xstitcher Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:47am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Thanks!!! I guess I'll try that! Just one other question, that is unsweetened apple sauce, right?

Yup, that is correct!

Nbogdala Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 10

Hi, The apple suace does work well, but what will you replace the sourcream with, I dont think fat free and lowfat sour cream will back the same at the full fat version....just a thought.... icon_smile.gif

Nbogdala Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 10

Hi, The apple suace does work well, but what will you replace the sourcream with, I dont think fat free and lowfat sour cream will back the same at the full fat version....just a thought.... icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbogdala

I thought about that too! I guess I'll have to experiment with fat free sour cream and see how it turns out! Unless anybody has any other suggestion??????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%