Can I Mix Luster Dust With Confectioners Varnish (Glaze)?

Decorating By banba Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm by bashini

banba Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 5

I just bought a bottle of confectioners varnish and wondered if I could just mix my silver luster dust with some of this for painting onto fondant accents?

Has anybody done this and did it come out okay?

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 5

I do it all the time! Just make sure that everything the glaze touches is disposable.

Working on a wax paper lined surface, pour a little dust out of the container onto your work surface. Fill a small paper or plastic cup with a small amount of glaze. Dip a disposable brush into the glaze, then swirl it in your dust. Paint away! You'll need to dip and swirl often. You may also need to do a second coat after the first coat dries.

If the glaze gets onto something that's not disposable, get some glaze thinner to clean it off.

banba Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

thanks DianeLM for the advice, especially on using disposable utensils, never would have thought of that, much appreciated!

Just curious when I bought this I did not see any thining products to go with it but it's already pretty thin anyway so I am hoping it will work without the thining agents.

Is the thining agent the only thing that will remove it from utensils etc ?

It smells like nail polish remover which I didn't realise, does it leave an after taste? TIA

DianeLM Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 5

You don't need to thin the glaze. The thinner is just for cleaning the glaze off your tools or other surfaces. It just has an unfortunately misleading name. icon_smile.gif

I suppose you could try nail polish remover if you can't find the thinner since the ingredients are similar.

Don't both with the thinner if you get the glaze on your skin. It will wash off eventually. You just may have shiny fingers for a few hours. icon_smile.gif

I know it smells terrible! But once it dries there's no odor or taste. I use it on chocolates and cookies with no problem.

The Mardi Gras cake on page 2 of my photos is one of my favorites using confectioners glaze with dust and just straight. The BMW cake (also on page 2) demonstrates the use of glaze+dust on chocolate.

Hope this helps!

bashini Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 5

Hi, here is the link from Country Kitchen Sweetart for Confectioner's Glaze cleaner,

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

I really like that stuff as it is much more easier. Like DianeLM has mentioned, you could try using Nail polish Remover. I haven't tried it though.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%