Freezing Mini Cake, Pls Help!!!

Decorating By dianasweetcake Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm by fabfour

dianasweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianasweetcake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #1 of 5

I am making 150 mini square cakes for my mom's 50th birthday party, not to ntion the main 9 inch cake to sit on top (plus my daughter's Care Bears birthday cake next sunday). My mom's party is Sept 27th and we are doing a Phanthom of the Opera theme and we all rented victorian costumes and going all out. Anyhow, the days before will be VERY busy with family from out of town and i do not want to be all stressed and pressed for time the days before. Can you please help with advise on doing as much as possible beforehand. I want to start baking the mini cakes soon and I need help on the best way to freeze them. Do I have to wrap and foil each individual cake? And do you recommend I crumb coat before freezing or can I bake, freeze, then crumb coat and cover and decorate? Also how early can I decorate and refrigerate before the event, sat sept 27th. I will be using buttercream (possibly) for the mini cakes and fondant for the large cake. I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance for your words!

4 replies
HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 5

Bump

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 5

Gah hit enter before finishing my post. Darn clicky finger hehe. I would love to know about this too. I have frozen larger cakes wrapped them in cling film (seran wrap?) and then in foil and frozen them but would love to know about the crumb coating and such. Hopefully someone more useful than me will be able to help. Han X

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 5

Sure you can freeze easily for two weeks. I've actually frozen for months will no ill effet, but I know my recipes very well. Just wrap well, and *ideally* you have a cake freezer so that there will be no transfer of tastes.

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

In the spring I make a wedding cake that was 125 round mini-cakes. I had nine pans to use and it still took 14 baking cycles to bake them for a total time of 5 1/2 hours of "baking time" not mixing too. Bake them ahead of time, freeze them. Just wrap them in saran wrap. When you are ready to ice keep in mind this will take FOREVER! It took me 12 hours to ice 125 3 inch round mini-cakes. I only used buttercream as well. You can see a pic in my photos.
HTH!

Missy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%