Freezing Mini Cake, Pls Help!!!

Decorating By dianasweetcake Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm by kakeladi

dianasweetcake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 2

I am making 150 mini square cakes for my mom's 50th birthday party, not to ntion the main 9 inch cake to sit on top (plus my daughter's birthday cake next sunday). Her party is Sept 27th and we are doing a Phanthom of the Opera theme and we all rented victorian costumes. Anyhow, the days before will be VERY busy with family from out of town and i do not want to be all stressed and pressed for time the days before. Can you please help with advise on doing as much as possible beforehand. I want to start baking the mini cakes soon and I need help on the best way to freeze them. Do I have to wrap and foil each individual cake? And do you recommend I crumb coat before freezing or can I bake, freeze, then cover and decorate? Also how early can I decorate and refrigerate before the event, sat sept 27th. I will be using buttercream (possibly) for the mini cakes and fondant for the large cake. I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance for your words!

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 2

Will there be more than one layer of cake w/filling? Is it a filling that can be fzn? Go ahead & bake when ever you want....get startedicon_smile.gif You can put each tier together, even ice it. If you do ice them, put them in the fzr *UNcovered* for about 1 hr to harden up the icing, then remove them, wrap in plastic wrap, then foil (OR put them in a box) and fz until the day before you plan to finish them.
You can make your icing now and fz. YOu can make any decorations ahead....you didn't say how they will be decorated - you might even be able to decorate the minis before wrapping & fzing.
I have kept cake in the frig for up to a week and we didn't feel it was any less fresh. Everyone has different ideas as to that. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%