Do You Think This Is A Scam?

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm by MnSnow

MnSnow Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 13

I was contacted twice tonight by a TTD interpretor (sp). TTD is for deaf people as a way of telephone contact.

The following is an email I recieved from the gentleman requesting a wedding cake:

Hi ,

thanks for the phone conversation and i want this understated cake done for me.

Basic Cake Flavors.... White.

Specialty Fruit Fillings... Red Raspberry

Cake Flavors... Chocolate Fudge

Tiers.... 5

Specialty Flavors..... Italian... A delightful moist cake with chopped pecans and coconut topped off with cream cheese icing

Cake Enhancements.... Cake Stands & Plateaus

Icings: Vanilla fondant

And i want the decoration to be flowers.

Design.. Icing Roses and fondant leaves covered in gold luster dust adorn this cake.

And i want you to understand that the cake is needed for a wedding on the 25th of October and it will be picked up at your place by the 24th So i will look forward for the cost of the cake so i will be able to forward you my credit card number and expiration date.

Thanks.

Somehow this feels like a scam but I'm not sure..What do you all think?

12 replies
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #2 of 13

Boy I'm not sure either. It has the markings of other scams but most of them were very obvious w/misspellings and unusual phrasing.

Seems to me I've heard on these message boards of others getting messages thru TTD that ended up being scams.
What makes me think this might be real is they are not asking *yyou* for any account # etc. Maybe you should follow up & give them a quote. If they want to pay over the amount you quoted & have you send to to another vendor run like the wind!

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #3 of 13

this sounds LOT like the recents scams going around. it has several red flags in there, first from the TTC system, the lack of proper english and that they will pick up from you and give you their cc# when you quote them. I would run away form this, do not respond.

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #4 of 13

Is this your website: http://www.creativecakedesignsllc.com/index.htm

The phrasing of the email is all taken from descriptions on that website...so if it's your website then the order is probably legit, otherwise I'd be thinking it was a scam. Someone might copy a picture from somewhere and email it to you, but copying word for word the descriptions from a website is a litte weird.

MnSnow Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:47am
post #5 of 13

No that isn't my website and I do find it curious that the wording is the same.

I emailed and requested a consultation and tasting. He relied back that it was for his son and sent a photo of the cake he wants. I replied back that I will not allow someone else to pick up a 5 tier cake and I wanted to meet with the bride and groom.

Dunno but it sure feels fishy to me. I'll see what more they have to say.

chutzpah Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:50am
post #6 of 13

hahahah definately a scam. Run from this one.

kelleym Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 13

It's a scam. All that's missing is "Happy Marriage Life", but the other telltale signs are there. Don't even waste your time pursuing it, just let it drop.

LadyMike Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 13

They may not have asked you for your info yet, but once you give them the quote, they'll need your bank account info so that they can wire it directly into it. Run like there's no tomorrow!

SugarFrosted Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:05am
post #9 of 13

You'd need more info to quote a price anyway. How many attending the wedding? What SIZE for the 5 tiers? What SHAPE? What color for the roses besides the Luster dust, what style/placement? There's too little info from them... smells fishy to me...

shadowgypsie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #10 of 13

SCAM

sarahpierce Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 13

If the order is for his son, then why is the son not ordering it? If the son is deaf then he could of contacted you the same way, right? If they will not meet you in person, then it is definately a scam.

Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 13

I agree, scam.

Do you ever just make a cake based on an e-mail request? That would scare me. Besides that, I only accept cash and certified checks.

Let us know how it turns out and Good Luck.

MnSnow Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 13

It's a scam. I insisted on meeting with the bride and groom and haven't heard back. I also refused to let someone pick up a 5 tier cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%