Need Help In Jacksonville/st Augustine Florida!!

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 12:03am by janelwaters

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 13

I am in dire need to find some ChocoPan (sp?) fondant. I went out to the cake store in Orange Park today and of course they are closed on Mondays!! I don't think that they carry it anyway - does anyone in this area know where I can find some FAST!! I have 3 cakes this weekend and need it for one on Saturday!

If you have a bakery and have some to spare - I will gladly buy it from you!!

Thank you all so much for any help that you can offer!

Janel

12 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 13

Hi Janel,

Does it have to be Choco Pan brand? I have some Fondx brand. It tastes wonderful and is easy to work with. Do you need vanilla or chocolate. All I have is vanilla.

I know the owner of the shop you went to in Orange Park and he carries Satin Ice. He does carry it in chocolate flavor too. Just give him a call before you make the trip to see what he has in store.

Patrice

wirries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wirries Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:16am
post #3 of 13

I would try Jesters in Orlando. Their website is www.fondantsource.com. I live about 1 1/2 from them and pay regular UPS ground and get it the next day. It's great and they have a large selection. Hope this helps!

janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you guys so much!! I have some satin ice, but what I wanted to do is this....

I have to make a beer mug cake and I wanted to wrap just the side of the cake with the chocopan - I saw the other night on Amazing Wedding Cakes where they put the white chocolate in the freezer for a little while so that it would "stand up" on the side of the cake.

any other ideas how I can accomplish that. The last time I tried to cover just the sides of a cake the fondant just sagged down the side - what am I doing wrong or what is the trick to this????

Serenatea - I still need to come see you, I think about coming by everytime I'm in Jax, but I'm usually in such a rush. I am planning on coming to the meeting on the 21st!

janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 13

sorry...double post

PatricesPieces Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 13

How big is the beer mug cake going to be?? I would just cover the entire thing. You can use regualar buttercream to make the frothy top on the mug. This way the fondant does not sag. I did a beer mug cake. Take a peek at my website. It's done using buttercream.

Can't wait to meet you. I'm actually off that sunday, so I will be able to attend the meeting too.

janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 13

Love your cake!! How big is that one? I was going to do 2 10inch rounds - I was going to do fondant b/c I am terrible at getting buttercream that smooth! I was thinking that if i put it over the top that it would be too heavy and pull too much? am I wrong - I sure hope so!! That would make my life so much easier! I was going to use buttercream to do the foam on top.

btw - I just had my friend pick your curious george cake for her son's 1st birthday! I really LOVE LOVE LOVE that george cake!!

PatricesPieces Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks...I used 5 -6 inch cakes and used dowels and a cake board in between the first three layers and the last two layers. I wanted the height. Two 10 inch cakes are not going to give you the height that you need for the mug.

To get my buttercream smooth, I used the Viva paper towels and a fondant smoother. It worked beautifully.

janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 13

That was what I was afraid of. I need to feed @50 for a birthday party.

Would 3 10 inches be high enough or should I do 4 8's??

I'm starting to stress about this cake now!!

PatricesPieces Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 13

4-8's would be best. It would give you more height. But the proportion is still off a bit. Don't stress. I'm sure it will turn out great.

janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 13

Ok - off to bake - I have 3 cakes for this weekend and 2 batches of cookies. (one cake and the cookies are for my daughter!). I need to get friends with birthdays more spread out!! haha

thank you so much!! I will definately post pics and probably be back with more questions...haha!

PatricesPieces Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 13

not a problem...happy baking.

janelwaters Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone for your help - especially Serenatea - the cake is done, the cake was delivered and the cake was a HUGE hit!!

I ended up doing 3 seperate 2 layer 8 inch cakes - (6 total layers with cake boards in between each). I covered the sides with fondant and used buttercream for the foam. I think it turned out great!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1265195

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%