Stained Glass Cookies - W/out The Cookie?

Baking By Alice6269 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 11:30am by Cookies4kids

Alice6269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice6269 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

HI -

Has anyone made the "stained-glass cookies" where you cut out the middle & melt lifesavers or jolly ranchers in the middle?

I'm trying to make shapes with the metal cookie cutters - not a cookie.
I had a leaf shaped cutter & melted the candies & they looked great, except I could not separate them from the cutters without breaking them. icon_cry.gif I wanted to have the "leaves" on top of a cake.

Should I spray the cutters with a cake release? butter them? icon_sad.gif

Any thoughts?

Thanks

7 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 8

We used to make them on shaped, buttered foil, when I was a kid.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #3 of 8

You can spray your cutters with cooking oil. I know of one lady who made royal icing outlines and poured hard candy into them. It worked well for her, but I've never tried it. Never had the nerve. Have you looked for leaf-shaped hard candy molds?

Here are some other threads about hard candy that might help you:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598381.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601034.html

Alice6269 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8

Here's what I did. So I had the leaf shaped cookie cutters on a foil lined cookie sheet. I poured in crushed Jolly Ranchers of different colors to look like the leaves were changing color. Had and oven brick on top to try to keep the pressure even & so they would not "leak" as much. Had them in an oven at 350F for @10 -15 minutes.

They looked great - just couldn't release them from the molds. I will try the cooking oil spray & if that doesn't work - I'll have to buy the silicone molds.

Thank you for the links & ideas, I'll hopefully try another round tomorrow.

Honeydukes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 8

Well they sound pretty! Please keep us posted; I'd love to know how it ends up working out for you.

Alice6269 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 8

So I tried spraying the cutters with cooking oil. Very messy - didn't really work. thumbsdown.gif I think I will have to try the silicon molds & peal them off after they are done.
icon_redface.gif

-L

Honeydukes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:55am
post #7 of 8

Sorry it didn't work for you. Good luck with the molds. It sounds like such a great idea. I don't know what isn't working.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:30am
post #8 of 8

I have done that but used plain Crisco with a small pastry brush to coat the cutters. They came out nicely using that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%