How To Get Cutouts Off Of The Cookie Sheet??

Baking By bmullard Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:26am by Edee

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 11

Ok, I am coming to the experts! I love making cut out cookies until I have to get them off the cookie sheet. They always end up breaking on me because they stick. I have waited a little for them to cool before I take them off... BREAK! I try to let them cool all the way.... BREAK! Is there something I can spray on the cookie sheet that will help them to release from the pan without breaking? Something to line the pan with?

Or is there a certain kind of cookie sheet everyone uses that their cookies come off so easily?

I am all ears!
Thanks!
Brenda

10 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 11

Parchment paper or silicone baking mats are the best bet.

Check out this how-to article I wrote. In the photos, you'll see what I use (Silpat baking mats). They are sooo easy to use and reusable over and over and over for years. (Saves tons of $ on parchment paper and much nicer for the environment!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 11

antonia has the best idea. I have some old teflon coated cookie sheets that are my favorites (can't find new ones like them anywhere) and I use them first. Then I use the silpat on top of a non-coated sheet...it's great for doing mini-cookies, as they bake nicely without getting too brown.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 11

this can also happen if you cut the cookies too thin. Try cutting them thicker as well. Maybe try another recipe as well. I use a Wilton recipe very close to NFSC and never have a breaking issue and I do not use parchment. I also freeze my cookies before I bake them (as in Antonia's tutorial.) Maybe that helps as well?

Stephanie

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 11

Definitely parchment or Silpat. Did you know you can wash parchment and reuse it? Not sure if it's a no-no in a commercial kitchen, but before I found a box of 3500 sheets for thirty bucks, I would get 20-30 uses from one sheet of parchment!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 11

I am so with the parchment paper Works well for me.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 11

I use parchment paper, then slide the entire sheet to the cooling grid. When the cookies are completely cooled then I lift them from the parchement paper.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 11

I thought I was the worst cookie maker in the world. I mean I couldn't even get them off the pan! and then....VIOLA I found parchment paper.....now I'm baking with the best of them icon_smile.gif Can't wait to be able to try a sil-pat though.....but for now, a little sheet of parchment is a god-send

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try them both!! See.... I knew I should ask the experts!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 11

Just adding my vote for parchment paper. never bake cookies without it.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #11 of 11

I have never tryed parchment paper before but I am going to on my next batch of cookies. WHat I do is leave on cookie sheet for exactly one minute and then scoop off with spatula and I haven't had any problems. Too long- will make the cookies hard, too short- the cookies will break. Just my 2 cents. But I am definately going to try the parchment, thanks ladies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%