Tinting Cake Batter.

Decorating By kel58 Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 2:43am by nickshalfpint

kel58 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

I'm very new to cake decorating and have a friend who wants a cake in a few weeks. Its for her daughters birthday and she would like Rainbow chip cake. Her mom asked me if it was possible to tint the cake itself a fun colour with the rainbow bits. Can i just add food colouring to the mix? If so, will the wilton food colouring be fine? and do you think the little bits would still show up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
Dawncurby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #2 of 8

any food coloring will work, I would just do a very light color...such as a pale yellow or a very light pink so the chips will still show up.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

msauer Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #3 of 8

I color batter quite often. Typically I use the brand called Americolor, but I don't see why the Wilton brand would not work. I think if the color you do the cake in is light enough in color you should still be able to see the chips.

I have an account with a client where I tie dye the batter so I mix up 5 different colors and then swirl them all together and put them in a pan to bake....lots of fun...maybe if you are adventurous enough you could make the cake a RAINBOW...

Good Luck!

(Oh, and you are gonna love it here around Cake Central...commonly referred to as CC. Give yourself about a week and you will be an addict like the rest of us and the lingo will be old hat!)

jelmom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 8

I've used wilton colors in batter often, and it comes out really cute. Don't know about the chips still showing up though.

auntiecake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 8

Yes you can add Wilton coloring to your batter. You can divide it up and make more than one color. Whether the chips will show up -probably, but they may not be as pretty as in the white. You could do 1/2 color and 1/2 white and then put the chips in the white. They will still show up in the other batter, but probably not that much. Good luck, sounds like fun.

woodthi32 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #6 of 8
kel58 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for you very fast replies!! I am already addicted to this site! Making my own rainbow cake is a great idea! The colours for the cake are purple and pink so maybe ill colour half the mix pink and half purple (then swirl them together). Other than the flavors, the mom has no idea what the cake is going to look like. They will be so suprised when they cut into it. Thanks again ladies! icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 8

I've used both americolor and the wilton coloring. They both work good. I did a checkerboard cake with pink and purple (I forgot to take a picture icon_cry.gif ) My daughter LOVED it!

Off the subject......Dawncurby, I LOVE your birthday, one of the best days of the year IMHO icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%