Vent**people Make Me Crazy! *long*

Decorating By mw902 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:07am by mw902

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #31 of 46

I really feel your pain. I called my sister back in early July to see if she was going to get her cake from me for my 4 year old neice whose bday was July 13th. This is how the conversation went. Some of you may have read this in another thread.
ME: Hey I was just calling to see if you are going to get Jessica's cake from me.
SIS: I don't know. It depends on how much you charge me. I was going to get a cake from Walmart if you charge too much.
icon_mad.gif
ME: Well, how much did you budget for the cake?
SIS: I don't know....$25.
ME: OK......well I can try to do what Jessica wants for that much.
SIS: Well I'm not paying more than that for a cake, I'd rather put my money elsewhere.
ME: You know my cakes are better than Walmart.
SIS: Yeah they really are but I'd rather put my money elsewhere. Do what you can for $25 and no more.
ME: icon_mad.gif

My niece is so sweet and had asked me to make her cake after she saw the princess castle cake I made for my DD, I love my nieces and nephews like my own so I couldn't say no to HER. If it had been a cake for my sister I would have told her not to choke on her Walmart cake.
I ended up spending 14 hours on the cake and about $40, the Strawberry Shortcake one in my photos, and when sis saw it I said, "I don't suppose there will be a $bonus$ for making this?" she says, "No, I don't suppose there will." My mom felt bad for me so she gave me another $10.
I was icon_evil.gif when I found out that she was going to pay more than $30 for a walmart cake, she spent over $600 just on the tickets to go to a Def Leppard concert, then went on a weekend trip to Gatlinburg, TN. I'm making my other niece's cake this weekend, I warned my sis that I went in the hole with the last one so this one would cost more. She reluctantly agreed. For a minute though I thought I would have to rip her a new one. She should put those kids before herself!!!
Sorry this was so long!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #32 of 46

Kimmypooh, I just dont understand family sometimes, I know there is a comfort factor when you are dealing with family, but you would think a family member would treat us better that they do, and not treat it like they are doing US a favor by LETTING us make their cake!

kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #33 of 46

I know. Maybe next time they ask for a discount we should say, "Gee, I don't know. Let me see if Kroger, Michaels, the water company, and the electric company will give ME a discount. OOOh and while I'm at it, I'll see if BP will give me a discount on the gas I'll use picking up the crap to make your AT COST cake!" icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #34 of 46

I know this will piss people off, but I have to disagree with Kimmypoo...I think that too many times we offer to make a cake for someone, then get all pissed off when they either 1. Don't jump for joy or 2. Don't want to pay us what we tell them it's going to cost. If your sister is a bee-otch, that's her problem, but if you offer and she says no, then that should have been the end of it.

If she ASKED you to do it, then you tell her how much it will cost, and if she doesn't want to pay that much, let her go somewhere else. If you're taking money for the cake it's a business transaction, when it comes down to it. I know that family dynamics put a different spin on everything, but if you look at it like it wasn't your sister, but anyone else, you basically told her that you would do the cake if she paid you more than her budget, then you got mad when she wouldn't ante up.

Next time, just don't do the cake unless she calls you first, then agrees to your price. If your nieces ask you to do it, tell them that you'll have to see what their mom has planned for their parties first. If you want to do it, do it as their birthday present, that way you take money out of it.

mw902 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #35 of 46

Costumeczar, you are right about alot of points in your post, if she wasnt family I would have gave her directions to walmart! But the money aspect, of my op she changed the deal after we agreed and expected me to just deal with it. So yeah you are right I should have told her no deal but you know family, and I am a sucker when it comes to my nephew!

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #36 of 46

mw902, I was actually referring more to Kimmypooh's situation with her beeotchy sister than to your original post, but my comments would be the same for most situations like this in general.

There are a lot of posts on here about people getting upset when family members don't want them to make the cake, or turn them down when they offer to do it. I think that if we all were honest with ourselves, we'd admit that yes, it's nice to make a nice cake to make someone else happy (especially kids), but there's also that part of us that wants people to say that the cake is wonderful and congratulate us all over for making it. It seems that most of the complaints in this area come from when someone is "cheated" out of that opportunity to show off a little. Hey, I understand the feeling, and I've felt slighted before in this area, too, but you have to get over it. If a family member doesn't want the cake, don't make it, no sweat. Less work for you.

Now on the other hand, if they do ASK you to do it for free or at cost, then treat you like they did you a favor, they can go take a flying leap! That's a different thing than what I'm talking about, though.

Venticali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Venticali Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #37 of 46

Why do the people closest to us always "forget" all it takes to make these cakes. They've seen us with our dyed hands and messy kitchens, but refuse to acknowledge that it takes time and effort. It's just cake...

Frankly, I'm no better, cuz I am a sucker when it comes to family and don't usually charge at all. icon_razz.gif

mw902 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #38 of 46

I am being completly honest when I say, I do not make cakes for others for compliments and whoplah over me, I am the most non show off type person you will ever meet! I make cakes because I love to do it, and I cannot eat all the cake myself! LOL!!

kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I know this will piss people off, but I have to disagree with Kimmypoo...I think that too many times we offer to make a cake for someone, then get all pissed off when they either 1. Don't jump for joy or 2. Don't want to pay us what we tell them it's going to cost. If your sister is a bee-otch, that's her problem, but if you offer and she says no, then that should have been the end of it.

If she ASKED you to do it, then you tell her how much it will cost, and if she doesn't want to pay that much, let her go somewhere else. If you're taking money for the cake it's a business transaction, when it comes down to it. I know that family dynamics put a different spin on everything, but if you look at it like it wasn't your sister, but anyone else, you basically told her that you would do the cake if she paid you more than her budget, then you got mad when she wouldn't ante up.

Next time, just don't do the cake unless she calls you first, then agrees to your price. If your nieces ask you to do it, tell them that you'll have to see what their mom has planned for their parties first. If you want to do it, do it as their birthday present, that way you take money out of it.

You're right, your post does miff me a bit b/c it's not about "showing off" or the money it's the principle.

1. I called her a week before the bday (when no plans had yet been made for the party whatsoever) b/c her daughter had ASKED ME to make her cake. I needed to know if she was going to get it from me so that I could start working on the pieces and b/c I needed to make sure I didn't make other plans on niece's bday (which BTW sis told me to leave the whole weekend open and she'd get back to me).
2. She didn't say NO, she wanted me to make her a champagne cake on a beer budget. A budget that was $25 for me, $35 for Walmart ( I found this out after I'd made the cake the night b4 the party.
3. She has the money to get breast implants, liposuction, $600 concert tickets for a concert she's seen 5 times already, out of town trips but cheaps out when it comes to her kids.
When she started selling jewelry and sunglasses I bought some and got her a few other orders to help her out. However, when her daughter tells her she wants a "cool cake" from Aunt Kim she tells me she's going to Walmart. I'm supposed to be happy about it? I'm not supposed to be mad that she was willing to give Walmart the extra $10 that she wasn't willing to give me to make a "beautiful" cake for her daughter? (things in quotation are what niece said) I mean HELLO! I only asked her to cover the cost!
4. I'd already gotten a birthday present for my niece......before she even asked me to make her cake.
My sister is a ridiculously selfish person who puts her own wants and needs before her kids. She doesn't support other family members in their ventures but expects us to support hers. She always cheaps out unless it something SHE wants. On one of the kids birthdays she had it at Micky D's and was miffed when she found out she had to buy her guests food, "I don't see why I have to pay for it." she said. And they aren't allowed to invite school friends. She's never going to change......that's why I told her if she wanted the next cake it would cost her more. I could understand if she really didn't have the money to spend on her daughter but she did.......she's just selfish. thumbsdown.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw902

I am being completly honest when I say, I do not make cakes for others for compliments and whoplah over me, I am the most non show off type person you will ever meet! I make cakes because I love to do it, and I cannot eat all the cake myself! LOL!!

AMEN!!!!! Ditto.

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #41 of 46

Well, I totally don't mean to attack either of you. How could I attack someone who has Johnny Depp in their avatar! icon_wink.gif I just see a lot of posts on here from a lot of people who complain that their relatives don't appreciate them enough, and I just don't see why they keep putting themselves in the position of having to deal with it. A lot of them come at it from the angle of "I wanted to bring a cake to the party even though they didn't ask me to, so I did and they didn't congratulate me for it or want to pay me for it." Well, if I was throwing a party and someone showed up with a cake that I hadn't asked for, I'd be pissed off, I wouldn't want to thank them. I know that neither of your situations was like that, you just seem to be dealing with cheap wenches, I was just commenting on a similar family-type situation that seems to pop up a lot on here.

Anyway, if I had to deal with a selfish @ss like your sister seems to be, Kimmypooh, I think that I'd just take her out of the equation by telling your niece that you'd like to have a special dinner for just you and her for her birthday, and making her a cake for that. Let her nasty mom arrange her official birthday party, just don't donate the cake. Leave your sister out of it, but that way you won't be shortchanging your niece. Just have her over for dinner sometime close to her birthday and let her have her special cake then.

And give your sister a picture of the cake, but no leftovers... icon_twisted.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #42 of 46

Oh dang, I just realized that isn't even Johnny Depp! I thought it was a still from Sweeney Todd icon_sad.gif I'll pretend it's Johnny Depp, though, a girl can dream...

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #43 of 46

I agree with costumeczar with just making your niece or nephew a personal cake and not one for the big celebration.

This way the child can get what they asked for and appreciate and their moms can get the walmart cake they planned for.

kimmypooh79 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Oh dang, I just realized that isn't even Johnny Depp! I thought it was a still from Sweeney Todd icon_sad.gif I'll pretend it's Johnny Depp, though, a girl can dream...

lol...yeah. Maybe Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow will get his turn as my avatar. I didn't think of the idea to bring her here. I'd definitely have to do it on a weekend near her bday as I live an hour and a half away from her but she loves coming here so thumbs_up.gif .

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #45 of 46

I must agree with costumeczar, take your niece or nephew out and that's it. Keep your selfish sister out of your special moment with the kids. I had a situation where my sister in law wanted me to make her the castle cake but didn't want to spend a lot of money I asked her to just pay to cover the items needed and she found it too much. I told her then to go buy a cake else where, she got the castle cake from the bakery and paid 4 times the amount I asked her for but I didn't say a word after that she asked me to do another cake and I just flat out told her, I can't don't have the time. I can't be bothered with family drama they're the worst customers icon_biggrin.gif

mw902 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #46 of 46

Oh Costumeczar, I didnt take it like you were attacking me!! I completely understand what you were saying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%