Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:06am by kellertur

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

MacsMom - does the glycerin make it more elastic? The one thing I wouldnt mind changing about MMF is that it cracks, like when I roll it out, the edges fray. this makes me wary of trying to sculpt with it as well. But it works wonderfully when covering cakes.

Yes, the glycerine makes it sooo easy to cover any shape. I've never had mine crack, though, even wihout the glycerine. It sounds like maybe you added too much PS?

No, it always starts off ok. I learned not to add the whole bag after my first batch...
Anyway, I think it has something to do with either a) adding too much Crisco as I go along or b) microwaving it too much. I know that if you stick a regular marshmallow in the microwave, it will get soft, then harden up and shrink. Maybe this is happening with my MMF? I usually work with it here and there, never all at once, so a batch of MMF ends up getting microwaved several times.

I'm going to try the glycerine though, and maybe not refridgerating my MMF every time.

I hijacked this thread with my own issues, so sorry!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #32 of 38

K2cakes:
Ok. First things first.
Too many bubbles in the fondant... Add more PS. Seriously. It will make it more firm. And it should take care of this problem.
Two... The smoothers need to have some icing sugar on them. Lightly. Then they will glide over your cake.

sayhellojana :
You could be microing it too hot. It's supposed to just get warm enough to be pliable. Not melty. Too much Crisco makes it REALLY greasy and soft. Too much PS makes it cracky. Try adding water 1/2 tsp at a time.

I know that Michele Foster is here somewhere, I can't remember her handle off the top (oh boy, who's been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard!!!), But hopefully someone else will remember. She KNOWS fondant!!! There are lots of others who will help too. Aine2 is also AWESOME for fondant questions.

Good luck!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:53am
post #33 of 38

If your fondant is tearing it may be to thin as well. MMF should be about 1/4 inch thick.
This is the website I learned from. This lady knows everything about MMF you could ever want to know. Plus she has recipes for other things as well. http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm She will also answer any questions that you have. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:16am
post #34 of 38

Since I'm a firm believer in MMF (haven't tried Rhonda's yet), I had to add as well......

try the chocolate or the strawberry marshmallows!!! It's awesome!! And the chocolate ones give you a head start on making dark fondant.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:48pm
post #35 of 38

Just reinforcing the previous answers:

I only micro my marshmallows 1 min--they aren't completely melted until I have stirred them a bit. I re-warm a few seconds at a time, it shouldn't get too soft or it's a pain to work with. (A full recipe usually requires a 40 second micro, though, to re-soften).

Roll it out thicker than you might think. It hides bumps better, is less likely to tear, and easier to smooth.

I just use the one bowl method, pouring in a little PS at a time. It's important that each addition gets absorbed before adding more for smooth fondant. Before it gets too difficult to stir, I grease my hands and pour in the the rest (when there is about 1/3 of the bag left). It goes much faster when you are using your hands to knead in the PS. I don't take it out of the bowl to knead. When the PS is absorbed, I form my ball and wrap it up.

Air bubbles can be caused by kneading in excess air. Be careful about trapping air pockets in your fondant as you are kneading.

I smooth with my hands first, then lightly go over with the fondant smoother. I do tend to get air pockets under my fondant because I work on cold cakes and someone here said that it is a called a "blow out": air forms as the cake warms and gets trapped.

So I am careful about making sure my fondant is adhering to the BC and I smooth from the center of the cake out to the edge in a spiraling motion, then straight down the sides. When I am confident it is stuck to the BC I smooth more.

When I have an air pocket, I use a corsage pin and gently press in into the cake at an angle. If it's on the side, I angle it upward so the hole is less visible. Usually I can smooth over that tiny hole so t isn't noticeable, or cover it up with an accent. If the hole ends up being too large and on a plain cake, I spackle it with royal icing or soften a piece of matching fondant so it can be smoothed over it.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Since I'm a firm believer in MMF (haven't tried Rhonda's yet), I had to add as well......

try the chocolate or the strawberry marshmallows!!! It's awesome!! And the chocolate ones give you a head start on making dark fondant.

I found some chocolate marshmallows the other day, and thats exactly what I was thinking! I figured with choclate marshmallows, plus some cocoa powder, I should be able to get it fairly dark. (and yummy...)

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:50am
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I made Michele Foster's fondant the other night, and used it tonight - although I made a vegan version, it did taste delicious.
My question: is there a secret to smoothing fondant without tearing it??? Everytime I use that "smoother" it tears my sides, etc... and then I get air pockets I can't seem to get rid of... This wasn't my post, but I would really love some help... please and thank you. icon_smile.gif

Smoothing fondant takes a light touch and you need to keep the smoother very flat. If it tilts the edge will catch the fondant and tear it. Are you using cornstarch to roll out the fondant? That helps me, it makes the fondant so smooth and easy to work with. You can get rid of air pockets or bubbles by popping them carefully with a sewing needle or straight pin. Pop the bubble and then resmooth.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #38 of 38

moxey~ I do use cornstarch. I read in Kate Sullivan's book she uses cornstarch and I loved the idea of not having extra sugar floating around attracting ants. Once my fondant is "made" I use only cornstarch. It worked well for my vegan MMF, but I needed WAY more sugar than the 3-4 bags her recipe calls for. It took almost 6lbs and it was still sticky. I went wrong somewhere - maybe too much shortening on my hands???

I'll try putting starc on the smoother - and getting my fondant surface dry first. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%