My First Mmf...i'm So Proud Of Myself!!

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:06am by kellertur

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 38

Hey everyone, I just made my first batch of MMF last nite and I was so excited. Came out great. I just cannot believe how much cheaper it is to make than buying it. Just thought I'd share my excitement!!

37 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 38

Not only that, but my family prefers the taste, and I find that it stays soft longer when I have to store it! icon_smile.gif Good luck with your project!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 38

isn't it easy.

icon_cool.gif

it will open a whole new world of cake decorating.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 38

I've read so much about MMF, but am too scared to try and make it myself.
Reading everyones comments etc. maybe I should pack my scaredness into my pocket and just give it a bash and see what happens.
Is it that easy to make???

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 38

Just give it a try. You won't know how easy it is until you do it yourself!!! and Michele Foster's is AWESOME once you get up the nerve!!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 38

I've been using the Rhonda's ultimate fondant recipie. It's really good. Granted, I'm new, and it's the only fondant I've ever worked with. But it isn't difficult to make at all. Yummy, too. (WAY better than anything else I've tasted. )

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

I've read so much about MMF, but am too scared to try and make it myself.
Reading everyones comments etc. maybe I should pack my scaredness into my pocket and just give it a bash and see what happens.
Is it that easy to make???

OMG!! Trust me if I can make it, anyone can. I saw it as a task and it took me maybe 20 mins to make.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #8 of 38

Ahhhhh I remember my first batch of MMF like it was yesterday...lol(it was in June)

I was super excited and it was the middle of the night....I even took a picture! If I was at home I would put it up so you can see my dorkiness icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

good luck with everything!!! thumbs_up.gif

Charmaine49 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #9 of 38

phoxphire1 thanks for the initiative. Busy frosting a cake and getting my DH settled after coming out of hospital, so if I get no other orders this week I will give it a bash. I have a MMF recipe saved that calls for 16oz marshmallows and 2Tbsp water......etc. is this the one that you all are using?? Found it here on CC

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 38

Be careful now though, I bought marshmallows last week to make mm fondant and the bag is now down to 10 oz. I thought it was just because it was the store brand, but I checked kraft and campfire and they are down to 10 oz now too. icon_razz.gif

sayhellojana Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #11 of 38

I use Rhonda's Ultimate and it calls for 15 oz of marshmallow. However, the recipie calls for a little more sugar than it really takes and the extra ounce helps.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #12 of 38

my store sells both brands in both 10 oz and 16 oz have for years.

congrats on your first mmf icon_smile.gif i remember mine. and i just taught my neighbor how to make it.. was quicker to make then wiltons buttercream lol

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #13 of 38

Charmaine49, I made it for the first time a few weeks ago and let me tell u I will never ever go back to store bought fondant. My family was eating it like it was going out of style...very tasty, easy to make, cheap to make and very quick to make not to mention you can find the ingredients with no problem.

Pantrysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pantrysweets Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #14 of 38

I was really scared about trying the MMF that is talked about so much on CC. I have several questions, hopefully someone could tell me what I am doing wrong?
I followed an MMF receipe found on CC - I found that it was really sticky. Is it supposed to be this way or did I do something wrong? When I added color, the fondant kept sticking to my hands, I tried cornstarch and it helped a little. I stored it in the fridge and it was really hard the next day, what is suggested when storing MMF?

Charmaine49 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #15 of 38

OK, so you have all convinced me to give it a try.
I will, as soon as the rain and cold stops here, I will purchase the marshmallows and give it a bash.

martha12 - as far as I am aware you should not store fondant in the fridge
and I think if it was as sticky as you say, I would have used more sugar and not cornflour......not sure if I am right, but that is the way I would have worked it.

diabolicdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diabolicdesire Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:40am
post #16 of 38

I just made my first batch last week. Def was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I didn't get a chance to work with it until last night. It was challanging, but I'm sure thats because I've never worked with any type of fondant before. Just glad I can experiment for like 2.00 a batch.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #17 of 38

Martha12, you can store it in fridge but it is not needed. You wrap with saran and put in ziplock bag. Make sure you get all the air out. Bring it back to room temp when you take it out of fridge and it should be ok. You can put in microwave for a little bit to soften up.

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #18 of 38

so it is easy to make hum.... well i'm also very scare of doing it. i try once and din't have any look it tated great but when i try putting it on the cake it fell a part... i try the one you put candy melts in, my teacher told me she did not had any luck with it ither. what's your favorite? and does it work as good as the one from wilton?

Charmaine49 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #19 of 38

Hi there to you all!
I am going to the shops today, so I am going to take the plunge and buy a packet of marshmallows and give this a go.
We work in grams here, so I take it a 16oz packet of MM is around 450grams. Hold thumbs everyone that I will master this fear that I have of making MMF!!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:41pm
post #20 of 38

Sayhello--I am with you all the way on Rhonda's Ultimate recipe. I do not cover cakes but use it to cover cookies and make all the fondant details that go on my cakes. I have tried several other recipes but have trouble with them either being too stretchy or too dry. I keep it for weeks just wrapped in plastic wrap in the cupboard, and I give it a few seconds in the microwave if it's too hard. I use the whole 16oz bag of marshmallows and just add another tsp. of lemon juice or corn syrup.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #21 of 38

This is the method I use for making my fondant. It's perfect for anyone who's afraid that MMF is too difficult to make thumbs_up.gif . Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it icon_biggrin.gif !

Use a large pyrex bowl (not too large for your microwave). Grease the bowl with Crisco. Pour a 16oz bag of Marshmallows into the bowl, then add 2 Tbls of water and 2 tsps of flavoring (vanilla or whatever). Microwave on high for 60 seconds, then stir with a greased wooden spoon. Microwave 30 seconds more if needed, to melt all the MMs. Now place the bowl onto a folded towel on your countertop. Pour in 1/2 of a 2 lb bag of sifted confectioner's sugar and stir with the wooden spoon. Once this is mixed in then put the spoon aside and rub a little Crisco onto your hands. Pour in the other 1/2 of sifted conf. sugar and begin mixing with your hands. If it starts to stick to your hands just use a little more Crisco. Once a ball forms knead it a few times, then put the whole ball onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up nice and snug, with no air. Put the whole thing into a ziplock bag and press out the air and seal. Now let it rest for a couple of hours or overnight. The whole process from start to finish takes only a few minutes. It took me longer to sift the sugar!

When you're ready to roll out the fondant use cornstarch, not conf. sugar. The constarch is SO much better, makes the fondant nice and easy to work with and it cleans up with a soft pastry brush once it's on the cake. If the fondant is a little stiff put it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so, it'll soften right up. Also, make sure you use fresh marshmallows. If the marshmallows are stale you'll get a goopy mess.

Charmaine49 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 38

Well, guess what?? I clean forgot to buy a packet of marshmallows.
Because my DH is a diabetic, I tend not to go down the sweet aisle and this is why I forgot all about it. But, when I next go to the shops I will put it as "priority" on my shopping list.

Moxey 2000 You explain the making of MMF so well, that I still think I should give this a go. Your explanations tend to take the scariness out of trying this out. Have you actually used this to cover a cake??

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #23 of 38

Mine is a modified version of Rhonda's. I LOVE it!

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir**add
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
1 dram of LoRann butter flavor candy oil - or - 2 t Wilton butter flavor
Add color, if using
**stir**add
2 lbs powdered sugar

Start by stirring in 1/2 c of PS to absorb moisture before dumping in more to help avoid clumps. Each time you add PS make you you stir it well so that it's well absorbed before adding more. When you are down to the last 1/3 of the bag, dump it in and knead with your greased hands. Form a ball and wrap with plastic wrap to rest at least 4 hours. To re-soften, place it in the micro a few seconds at a time and knead. If it is too sticky from over-warming, knead in cornstarch a little at a time or wait for it to cool again.

I just roll mine out on parchment paper, continually flipping it over but being careful that I don't leave fingernail marks: Roll out, flip, roll out, flip, etc.

Try not to roll it too thin as this will show every little bump on the cake.
I apply a crumbcoat, refrigerate, then apply a second coat of BC. The second coat goes on nice and smooth since it has a cool, hard surface to adhere to, so don't worry about having a perfect crumbcoat.

If you are planning on using a lot of food color for a deep shade, then only use 2 t of water and add a little cornstarch with the PS (a couple tablespoons). Excess food color makes it stickier to work with.

If you need black or red, BUY IT! I've never had success with black and red MMF - weird texture and way too sticky.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

Have you actually used this to cover a cake??

Yes, I use it just like purchased fondant.

sayhellojana Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #25 of 38

MacsMom - does the glycerin make it more elastic? The one thing I wouldnt mind changing about MMF is that it cracks, like when I roll it out, the edges fray. this makes me wary of trying to sculpt with it as well. But it works wonderfully when covering cakes.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #26 of 38

For MMF, I find the Addendum to Rhonda's Ultimate to be preferable... I love the addition of the fresh or bottled lemon juice.

I make a lot of MMF and have found that the store brand marshmallows are the batches that I have the MOST trouble with. If I stay with brand name, I have fewer issues. I know some feel differently about that.

My new favorite to make is Michele Foster's or a similar one to that same recipe but is called White Chocolate Fondant. These are a little more time consuming to make; however.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #27 of 38

You can also use Marshmallow fluff and powered sugar to make it. I've never tried it but a friend of mine did and she said it was super easy and yummy. She just mixed powdered sugar with the fluff until it became the consistency she wanted.
If your MMF is cracking add crisco to it, Just need it in. Some people use there KA to mix it but the MM's and Powdered sugar get stuck to the sides (even with crisco) and then hard pieces get in the fondant and you are constantly picking them out. So I've decided to scrap that method and just need it on the counter.
Make sure that the counter is well greased and that your hands are well greased. You also need to have extra crisco for re greasing. Also knead, knead, knead. The more you knead the better it gets. When you wrap it put a layer of Crisco around it first then wrap.
I make it a little stretchier than it is supposed to be because when it sits over night it usually firms up and I don't get as dry of fondant. (hopefully that wasn't to confusing of a sentence)
One thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't respond well in the humidity it gets to stretchy and sticky. You can add more Pwd. s but it's a pain. Plus you have to plan ahead with MMF.
Definitely give it a try!! Just be prepared to have sore arms! LOL
Jen...

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

MacsMom - does the glycerin make it more elastic? The one thing I wouldnt mind changing about MMF is that it cracks, like when I roll it out, the edges fray. this makes me wary of trying to sculpt with it as well. But it works wonderfully when covering cakes.

Yes, the glycerine makes it sooo easy to cover any shape. I've never had mine crack, though, even wihout the glycerine. It sounds like maybe you added too much PS?

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #29 of 38

well you guys have gotten this chicken excited enough to try making it, I've been wanting to, but been putting it off. icon_redface.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Michele Foster's is AWESOME once you get up the nerve!!!

I made Michele Foster's fondant the other night, and used it tonight - although I made a vegan version, it did taste delicious.
My question: is there a secret to smoothing fondant without tearing it??? Everytime I use that "smoother" it tears my sides, etc... and then I get air pockets I can't seem to get rid of... This wasn't my post, but I would really love some help... please and thank you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%