Which Cake Would You Do For 125 People....

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm by tinygoose

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 11

I need some other opinions. I have a 5 tier plain wedding cake for next Saturday. The bride told me that she will have about 125 people. Now I normally factor in the 20% rule (that about 20% of people wont show up, stay for the cake, or eat cake). So I figured I'm really working with about 100 servings. So I was going to either 4,6,8,10,12 (90 people) or 6,8,10,12,14 (155 people). The 20% rule for 125 would give me 100 servings. I gave her a price as if it were for 100 people but since i can't work the 5 tiers to feed 90 or 155, what do I do? So which would you go with on the assumption of maybe 125 people and the 20% rule? I even thought about doing the 6,8,10,12,14 and making the 10 a dummy cake (125 servings) but do you think she will be upset about me including a dummy cake and not discussing it with her? Thanks in advance

10 replies
KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 11

I would give her a call and explain the problem and what you have come up with for a solution. That will put the decision in her ball park, and then you won't have to worry.

post #3 of 11

I would give her a call and explain the problem and what you have come up with for a solution. That will put the decision in her ball park, and then you won't have to worry.

post #4 of 11

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 11

i would do the 6,8,10,12,14. the couple takes the 6" home for their 1st anniversary and the guests are served the 8,10,12,14. if you go with a dummy i think you need to discuss it with the bride first.......

ronnieboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronnieboo Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 11

Make a simple one just make it simple icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with Katie....talk to her especially if you use a dummy. Then be sure to tell the server which layer it is! icon_lol.gif

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 11

Thank all of you for your insight. I emailed the bride and she said that a dummy would be fine. I guess I was overthinking to whole thing and didn't want to bother her with last minute stuff about her cake but I'm glad I got that straight. Thanks again everybody

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 11

You definately need to discuss this w/the bride. It's not up to you to give them less or than they want w/o their concsent.
How do you know she doesn't already have 125 confirmed? It never hurts to have extra cake unless the family specifically says no.

Beside that....... you are potentionally cheating yourself out of more $$$ icon_smile.gif
I never factor that 20% thing. I leave it up to the bride &/or family after explaining they can give extra cake to family, friends &/or keep some for the out of town guests around the next day or two.
Also a lot of couples are choosing to have a family party the next day or so to open the gifts. Good time to serve cakeicon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

You definately need to discuss this w/the bride. It's not up to you to give them less or than they want w/o their concsent.
How do you know she doesn't already have 125 confirmed? It never hurts to have extra cake unless the family specifically says no.

Beside that....... you are potentionally cheating yourself out of more $$$ icon_smile.gif
I never factor that 20% thing. I leave it up to the bride &/or family after explaining they can give extra cake to family, friends &/or keep some for the out of town guests around the next day or two.
Also a lot of couples are choosing to have a family party the next day or so to open the gifts. Good time to serve cakeicon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 11

I was just wondering what cake serving chart you are using. Seems like a lot of cake for 100-125 people? Here's the Wilton Chart, which I understand are the smaller wedding size slices, and Earline's chart which are the more generous servings...

6,8,10,12, 14=208 servings (Wilton Chart)

6,8,10,12, 14=163 servings (Earline Chart)

6,8, 10, 12=130 servings (Wilton chart)
6,8, 10, 12=98 servings (Earlines Chart)

There wasn't a listing for the 4", but I'd assume an extra 4-6 good size servings. According to the above charts I'd do the 4,6,8,10,12 and give her the 4" as her anniversary cake, tell her the rest serves between 98-130 depending on how you cut it. It seems like it would be plenty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%