Not Sure What To Use To Make Pieces Of Bond Cake

Decorating By luvalot Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm by KHalstead

luvalot Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 2

Hi again all

Well thanks to a lot of suggestions from Karateka I have come up with a sketch of what I think I will do with my Dad's cake. But there are a lot of things on the cake I am not sure how to make.

For the silhouettes on the bottom layer...how would I do those? I have only ever used colormist and I think that will spray all over...any other suggestions?

For the playing cards...do I just use fondant and put an edible image on them...or something else?

And for the very top, do I still do the gun barrel idea (as pictured with sketch), or will it be too much?

I will use real martini glasses to support the layers of cake...do I just do it as I would a normal tiered cake using pillars? Or do I need something else for support?

Thanks again!
LL

1 reply
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 2

you could do the sillouhettes with fbct's or even out of royal icing or chocolate (just form it to the side of your cake pan while drying so it has the same curve as the cake) Or depending on what you feel like you could probably even make yourself a template and cut it out of fondant........I would be tempted to use an airbrush myself though, don't suppose you have one of those???

As for the glasses you definitely need some dowels underneath them and you might even consider actually gluing the top of the glass to the bottom of the board for the top cake, the other one should be pretty sturdy with three glasses though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%