Petal Dust Verses Luster Dust For Fondant Flowers

Decorating By Lynnscakes_sc Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm by tonedna

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 10

I am new to fondant flowers but with the help of all the tutorials I think I have figured them out. Now the problem I have is, what is the difference between Luster and Petal dust? I want to use them on roses, calla lilies and the stems. I am looking for shades of pink, yellow and green. Any suggestions on which brand/color is the best?

9 replies
PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 10

Petal dust is a flat-finish colored powder. Luster dust will give you a shimmery effect. I don't really have a preference for any brand in particular.

BakingGirl Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 10

Petal dust will probably give you a more realistic colour for flowers as most flowers are not shimmery. That is not to say you should not use luster dust for flowers, you can get some really lovely effects with luster.

A good tip for home made petal dust is to buy non-toxic artist chalk and rub the stick inside a tea strainer to grate to fine powder. Most likely going to be a lot cheaper to buy a small set of chalk rather than a lots of pots of petal dusts.

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks to you both. I will try the chalk, otherwise I will be speding a fortune on petal dust.

tonedna Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

Non toxic chalk works great..I only use luster in certain flowers..mainly for fantasy flowers..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 10

Ok, I can't find chalk. Edna, where do you buy yours?

jjkarm Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 10

Ohhhhhh...... non-toxic chalk!!! icon_surprised.gif What a great idea! I would have never thought of that. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

paolacaracas Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 10

I use the chalk too, look for PASTEL in the art suply store, look in my fotos my last upload is from a cake made with the pastels.

lorrieg Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 10

Ikea has non-toxic chalk. The only thing I find with chalk is that you have to grind it rather well or you get lumps. But other than that it works. And you could always add a bit of cornstarch to dilute the colour or make it more silky. I've done both. Now I buy the petal dusts because even though it costs more in the long run you get stupendous colours and a little goes a long way and it's much faster if you are making lots of flowers. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah..any shop that sells art stuff...makes sure is non toxic..I love the amount of tones you can get with chalks..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%