Online Cake Decorating Classes?

Decorating By Postal_Cakemaker Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 6:19am by xstitcher

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 21

Is anyone currently taking or has anyone taken this type of class before??

I found it online and it looks like it would be good to try especially for the price and the fact that you can do it at home at your own pace. I work nights and all of the classes that I've found are at night when I'm at work.

Here's the link to the site:www.universalclass.com/i/crn/31655.htm

Please let me know what you think. thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif

20 replies
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 21

Feel free to comment.

I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder abut this.

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #3 of 21

I'd like to know as well if there is a good class online. I need to take a class asap.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #4 of 21

I've never seen this. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna take the class. It's perfect, I don't have to find a babysitter =)

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #5 of 21

Thanks for sharing. icon_smile.gif

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #6 of 21

Well, thank you for sharing it looks good and I'm thinking about joining. Everyone teaches different, so let's see what we learn. Good luck to all who join the class. icon_razz.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #7 of 21

Im starting a Wilton class this Thurs, but I want to do this too!

Working at my own pace?!?! from home?!?!? sign me up !!!

Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

thumbs_up.gif

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #8 of 21

I ve been doing wilton for about 1 and 1/2 months, If someone takes this class give us an update and let us know if its good. I might want to do it also.

funsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funsugar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:25am
post #9 of 21

I actually found a lot of the online cake decorating courses on the internet for free.

The North San Diego Cake Club seems to have compiled a pretty good list of tutorials and how-tos.. most of them are videos, which i like.

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&q=howto

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:15pm
post #10 of 21

Those videos on The North San Diego Club are really good too!

I'm going to take that online course I think. It can't hurt and the price is right and I know I'd learn something new!!

Thanks for all the comments!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 21

Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes,

Before you pay for the on-line class try doing Google searches for youtube cake decorating tutorials. That's what I use when I want to learn something new or if I'm having trouble with something. I'm definitely a "visual" learner, not one that does well with just reading directions.

There are tons of free youtube videos out there and once you get on one there are other links from there.

Give it a try icon_smile.gif

cakefanatic Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 21

Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes, I am with you on taking the class, I am even thinking about the cert. Thanks....also...

I e-mailed the decorator, due to I am going to Florida for 5 day's and was wondering if it was going to affect me taking the course and this is what she wrote.

Hello Lupe,

Thanks for your interest in one of our online courses. It's self-paced and you have 6 months to finish...so 5 days won't matter.

This is a self-paced online class. The course begins when you do, so you can Enroll at any time. You may take this course from anywhere in the world providing you have access to a computer and the Internet.

Once you enroll, the class will always be open for up to 6 months -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You complete coursework according to your own schedule. You decide if you want to finish your course in 2 weeks or take the whole 6 months. The instructor may provide helpful guidelines for course completion, but generally you determine your own timeline from the convenience of your own personal computer whether at home late at night or at the office during lunch break! Your courses will be available on-demand and from anywhere on the Internet at times that will fit into your busy schedule.

For an example of a general classroom set-up as well as lesson guides on navigating our online service, why not join our "free" UniversalClass Demonstration course titled "How to Take an Online Class at UniversalClass":
http://home.universalclass.com/i/crn/98.htm

Please don't hesitate to ask any other course questions,

Jessica (Course Information)

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 21

What, specifically, do your paid classes offer that free resources (youtube, this site) do not?

funsugar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 21

yea.. that would be interesting to know.

does anyone have a syllabus of any classes?

if you have taken a course, what were the items they taught you?

cakefanatic Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 21

Nobody has taken any classes just yet, but if you go to this website that Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes posted it will give you more information.www.universalclass.com/i/crn/31655.htm.

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

What, specifically, do your paid classes offer that free resources (youtube, this site) do not?

I'm thinking about taking the course, and the main incentive for me is that it starts from the first step and goes in order, from baking the cake to the finish. As a beginner, I wouldn't know what tecniques or troubleshooting tips I would need to search for on youtube. If I take the course, I would feel like it was all covered and I wouldnt have any of the gaps that I would have if I searched it out and pieced it together from youtube videos.

I would be interested to know how it's going from anyone who has started taking the class.

funsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:02am
post #17 of 21

The course lesson description seems pretty vague. But its only $25 for the basic price, so its not too bad of a gamble.

Course Lessons

Lesson 1: Getting Started
Let's make sure we have the right supplies before we start decorating our cake.
Lesson 2: The 411 on Cake Baking Basics
First, we need to bake a cake before we can start decorating it.
Lesson 3: Decorating with Butter Cream Icing
Decorating with Butter Cream Icing
Lesson 4: Decorating with Royal Icing
Decorating with Royal Icing
Lesson 5: Decorating with Sugar Flowers (And Other Gum Paste Creations)
Decorating with Sugar Flowers (And Other Gum Paste Creations)
Lesson 6: Decorative Children's Cakes
Decorative Children's Cakes
Lesson 7: Holiday and Celebration Cakes
Holiday and Celebration Cakes.
Lesson 8: Cake & Frosting Recipes
Learn the recipes for cakes, frostings, and icings, including: classic white layer cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake, butter cream icing, royal icing, marzipan, rolled fondant, and gum paste.

zandramads2u3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zandramads2u3 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #18 of 21

I have taken the universal class. it is basically a bunch of tutorials you read,do or just send in photos of cakes you already did. they didn't seem to care. i did it just for the certificated. its kinda kool on my wall..lol but save your money put it towards a Wilton class and get at least an instructor who will answer your questions if you get stuck is my suggestion.

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 21

Sorry this might be long.

That's why I posted this thread in the first place.

I've taken all 4 of the basic Wilton Classes and I was about 50/50 thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif with them. 50% impressed and 50% unimpressed.

My first class the teacher that was supposed to teach got sick and another couple of teachers tried to work us through the class and IMO it wasn't that great.

The 2nd class I took was awesome!! I took it at the same store as the 1st class and this time everything went great! I learned more that I ever had before.

The 3rd class was taken at the same store and they had there act together again and it was awesome!

The 4th class I took was in Ohio where I live now. I took it at a craft store which I won't mention the name, but it was the worst class EVER!!!! I was the only one in the class and the only real thing I learned was how much my instructor hated teaching at the store. I quit after my 2nd class and never went back.

I was looking into these online classes because I would have to drag all of my crap to a different location and get set up for 2 hour class and be rushed out at the end because they were closing.

Here's another thing I was upset about Wilton classes. I always marked down that I wanted to be an instructor. I was in the Navy for 20 years and for 15 of those I was an instructor in some way or another and REALLY wanted to teach people how to decorated!!! Well I heard NOTHING from them at all!!! I even went online and submitted an application and looked up possible locations to teach in my local area and every time a location would pop up saying they needed an instructor and still not one word.

Would anyone know what I could do about that??

Sorry this is so long!! Hope someone can help.

funsugar Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #20 of 21

Well if Wilton doesn't respond, you can always put a free ad out on Craigslist or on this board that you are teaching classes!

You seem like a person who actively practices the craft, so im sure you are more than qualified to teach a level 1 or level 2 course on cake decorating!

Like the Nike commercials say... JUST DO IT!

icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:19am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by funsugar

I actually found a lot of the online cake decorating courses on the internet for free.

The North San Diego Cake Club seems to have compiled a pretty good list of tutorials and how-tos.. most of them are videos, which i like.

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&q=howto

Thanks for the link! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%