What's Your Favorite ~ ??

Decorating By kellertur Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 3:35am by beth2027

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 17

Hello ~

What are your favorite cake, filling, icing flavor combinations ?

I am trying to build my repertoir, so to speak... and really would like to try branching out and experimenting with flavors. I'd love to know what combinations are your favorites.

I applogize if there are already a gazillion threads like this in the past. icon_redface.gif

thanks icon_smile.gif

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 17

One of my all-time faves is chocolate cake with pistachio cream filling... yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 17

I'm a traditionalist and I don't care for "weird freaky" flavors, so my personal favorites are white cake with choc fudge filling and choc icing, or white cake with red raspberry filling and white icing.

My son-in-law says if he goes to a wedding and there's no white cake with white filling and white icing, then he's taking his present and leaving! icon_lol.gif

When I make cakes for family gatherings, they BEG me, "Just a plain cake, mom! No weird stuff ... just plain 'ole white cake PLEASE!!!!"

I find brides just want a good tasting cake .... I've never met one yet who requested some off the wall flavor.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 17

Chocolate with raspberry is always good. White cake with lemon curd and white chocolate buttercream, super yum!

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 17

I made a chocolate fudge cake w/ creamsicle filling this weekend, and it was pretty darn good! Just added orange extract to cream cheese filling.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 17

My current favorite (they frequently change icon_lol.gif ) is white cake, with almond simple syrup, raspberry filling and good old American flavored with either vanilla, or almond.

My family's favorite is butter pecan cake, caramel filling, and chocolate SMBC.

My favorite way to find flavor inspirations is to look at bakery websites. Here's a few I have bookmarked:

http://bakednyc.com/page/cakes-and-treats/cakes/
http://www.cakefetish.com/menu.htm
http://www.flourgirlbakery.com/
http://www.sweetartfestivecakes.com/CustomOrders.htm
http://www.mainstreetcupcakes.com/menu.htm (the list of flavors is mindboggling!)

HTH thumbs_up.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 17

Very yummy cake is white or chocolate cake with 3 layers pf filling......2 of red raspberry and 1 of whipped chocolate ganche, all iced in Cream Cheese......talk about rich and DELICIOUS

kellertur Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:28am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My son-in-law says if he goes to a wedding and there's no white cake with white filling and white icing, then he's taking his present and leaving! icon_lol.gif

That's good advice ~ what are some good "white" fillings besides the icing used on top? I know of cream cheese and marshmallow, but are there others?

thanks icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

That's good advice ~ what are some good "white" fillings besides the icing used on top? I know of cream cheese and marshmallow, but are there others?

thanks icon_smile.gif

when he says white filling, he means the plain 'ole icing filling ... same stuff that it slapped on the top of it!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:55am
post #10 of 17

In order:
butter pecan cake w/bavarian creme fill
lemon cake w/raspberry fill
Sour cream almondchocolate cake w/choco chips in the batter, then raspberry fill & choco fudge icing.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 17

Orange cake with lemon-orange filling and champagne buttercream

French vanilla cake with blackberry filling and vanilla buttercream

Banana cake with coconut filling and butter rum buttercream

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 17

I've seen this a few times now.........champagne buttercream. Anyone care to share a recipe and maybe describe what it tastes like?

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

I've seen this a few times now.........champagne buttercream. Anyone care to share a recipe and maybe describe what it tastes like?

I just add a few drops of champagne flavored Lorann Oil to my regular buttercream recipe. A few drops makes it sort of have an aftertaste of dry champagne, it's not overpowering at all. Paired with anything orange, it is absolutely lovely (like a mimosa!)

kellertur Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:23am
post #14 of 17

Thanks everyone ! This really gives me some perspective ~ while I do want "unique flavors", I can't go TOO nuts because I do this out of my home. ~ SAHM (most rewarding job on the planet, I must say!) icon_rolleyes.gif so limited baking/decorating time.

I appreciate the time it took you all to respond -
lanibird~ thanks for doing all that research. WOW !

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #15 of 17

Chocolate-chocolate-chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:31am
post #16 of 17

Chocolate-chocolate-chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #17 of 17

There is a white chocolate cake recipe here on CC that I have tweaked a little. I fill it with strawberry filling and white chocolate filling (white chocolate pudding and cool whip). Sometimes I do white chocolate buttercream icing with it.
People rave over the cake. The only complaint I have ever gotten on it was that it was too rich. And that was only from one person.
I made the cake for a memorial service at my church and I have this guy that comes up to me every week wanting to know when I am going to make him a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%