Amazing Wedding Cakes Tv Show

Decorating By laynie72 Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm by Susie53

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #91 of 236

Dkelly27, thanks for the well wishes! I really appreciate it!

CakeDiva, I guess it never occurred to me that the other Cake Divas may have come first. I take back what I said then for sure!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #92 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiane

I love the cake girls--they are so talented. BUT I wish that show would take the cake divas off and the cake atilier girls off and replace them with those cute guys from NY--remember them from the FN challenges? I can't think of their names--one is Jason I think. Remember they were the ones who, after they finished their cake for a challenge, went over to a competing kitchen and helped them finish their cake because one of their bakers had a medical emergency...class guys and VERY talented. Wish I could remember their names!

Oh, he is so flippin' cute!!!! Jason Ellis is his name - what a doll!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #93 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

CakeDiva, I guess it never occurred to me that the other Cake Divas may have come first. I take back what I said then for sure!

No problem, you know, it would never have occured to me either but I was so completely baffled by them that I looked them up a couple of weeks back. I couldn't figure out if they were really famous (or popular, etc) in LA since *ahem* they just didn't strike me as the LA type (yeah, total stereotype - I am guilty icon_redface.gif )

And I'm sorry, but I am having trouble getting the huge inch of BC filling out of my mind when I think of them being high-end cake decorators out there..... for some reason I keep thinking they would be torting, etc. It was just so unsightly, lol.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #94 of 236

I agree about that cutie Jason Ellis!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #95 of 236

I just have one omore add in to say. I did do some talking on here earlier, but I didn't mean it to sound as if I could do any better than the people on the show. I am from "Podunk, Kansas" and have always said that I was a beginning decorator. I am a work in progress and the Lord knows it. If some of the things I say seem "stupid" it is because I am still new. I have been doing cakes for years, but they were at home from the sahped pans and just round plain things for family and friends. i have been too terrified to try anything new which is why I come on here to look through your ideas and try new things for myself. You all have given me so much info and inspiration-I haven't used it because I was working and moving. But believe me now that I am back in the states w/o a job, I will takingup alot more time practicing. I am sorry that I thought that $600 for the cake was too much. But maybe it is because I don't really know about cake pricing. I get nervous everytime someone asks me to price a cake for them! So don't judge us too harshly, as well. To any show people or your producers, sorry for the fuss. But I would rather someone let me know if they think something is good or bad. That gives me the opportunity to improve on it, whether it be my product or my attitude. I will keep that in mind! TFL.

livvah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livvah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #96 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

And I'm sorry, but I am having trouble getting the huge inch of BC filling out of my mind when I think of them being high-end cake decorators out there..... for some reason I keep thinking they would be torting, etc. It was just so unsightly, lol.

i'm totally just jumping in here, i'm delurking, but omg, me too! i was shocked when i saw their lack of cake levelling/torting on sunday night's ep! they charge how much and it looks like that when it's sliced into??? crazy.

i'm still not sold on the show, either... the only ones i can stomach watching are the cake girls. the other 2 bakeries grate on me.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:44am
post #97 of 236

Yeah, they should just do a show about me. Me and by boyfriend (unless hes gay, which I totally think he might be) Jason Ellis. And my other boyfriend, his partner. Or *partner*, whichever. icon_smile.gif I'd watch.

Was too funny, as I watched the latest episode on DVR last night my 9yo son was just going on and on about people's borders and such saying mom, you can do so much better than that! And... and I probably shouldn't share this... but he said that the 2 Cake Divas girls looked like men that had been taking the "lady drugs that turn them into girls" lmfao! ouch, tho. Too much Discovery Health channel for that boy, I guess.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #98 of 236

OMG. Well at least I am not the only one with outspoken children icon_redface.gif (my son asked if they were 'baking in drag').

I think the weirdest thing about their bakery was just how sort of sloppy I felt like their cakes were, in comparison to high end cakes I have seen either on Duff's, SugarRush - whatever. They simply lacked an elegance and clean profile that I was expecting from the superficial perfection of L.A.

And maybe some think I am over picking them (they are great compared to what I can put out - I realize that!) I was just taken back by some of the cakes they made. The castle cake was, I felt, really not done well. The car cake would have been so much nicer had they used fondant - much cleaner...... and the torting thing. I know I'm beating a dead horse but IT'S BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME!

God knows how many hundreds of dollars they are charging and they don't torte and they use an inch of frosting as their filling......*deep breathe*, ok, I'm done now.

sugar_blossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_blossoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #99 of 236

Am I the only one who believes that someone decorating at the level that Duff is should be able to deliver a cake with out it falling apart, especially when delivering a "cake" that is mostly styrofoam. I mean repairs are expected but a major cake disaster on every delivery?????????? I'd expect more from his level of decorating. I can't see having more inedibles in a cake than actual cake.

On the note of the last minute wedding cakes...in my market you are lucky if you get 30 days. That is considered to be major in advance here.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm
post #100 of 236

[quote=
And I'm sorry, but I am having trouble getting the huge inch of BC filling out of my mind when I think of them being high-end cake decorators out there..... for some reason I keep thinking they would be torting, etc. It was just so unsightly, lol.[/quote]

It just goes to show you they care more about the "WOW" reaction to people seeing the cake, rather than what the he_ _ it tastes like, or looks like when cut.
I'm willing to bet that most of those contest cakes would not be delicious with a big glass of milk!

Attention show producers...........this is my LEAST favorite cake show, I love the sisters, but, if the show makes it for next year, you producers may want to look at some of my fellow CC member's cakes........they're way better than some of the cakes that have been showcased on your show. (and I'm sure they taste great too!) icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #101 of 236

I can't believe anyone thinks the comments being made here are offensive. These people chose to be in the spotlight, and are therefor subject to scrutiny and criticism - it comes with the territory. I would take that paycheck and exposure in return for people bashing me online. Heck, I get bashed online all the time now and I haven't seen a NICKEL! LOL!

In my opinion, the only time it's crossing the line is when people start snooping into their private lives and posting personal information and/or attacking them over things that are NOT broadcast. If someone says something on TV, it's fair game to criticize.

The only other thing I find objectionable, is when people start attacking others over their appearance (fat, ugly, etc.) - which I haven't seen done here. I am a very fair person, and have no problem speaking up when I think people are being rude - but I just don't see it here.

I went on a date once with the very first reality TV "persona" - and his life was RUINED by the way he was slammed in the media. He chose to take part in a reality show, and that portion of his life was certainly open for discussion ... but the media pried so deep into his personal life, and humiliated him in the press. I had only one date with him, because while I think he was nice enough - even many years later, it still dominated his life. Very sad.

So, this to say that I've seen the way it hurts people and I am quite sensitive to other people hurt - but the things said here are simply critical and I don't think they even come close to being hurtful or spiteful.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #102 of 236

I love watching cake shows but this one is beyond me. I love the Cake Girls but the cake diva's are SLOPPY and the Cake Atelier does very nice work (or should I say the goth chick does nice work) but Ruth is annoying and sooo uptight. I like that they are at least pastry chefs though so their cakes are made to taste as good as they look. Im not sure why anyone would spend money on one of thos e cake diva cakes though.

momma28 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #103 of 236

I love watching cake shows but this one is beyond me. I love the Cake Girls but the cake diva's are SLOPPY and the Cake Atelier does very nice work (or should I say the goth chick does nice work) but Ruth is annoying and sooo uptight. I like that they are at least pastry chefs though so their cakes are made to taste as good as they look. Im not sure why anyone would spend money on one of thos e cake diva cakes though.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #104 of 236

O.K., I am calling DirectTV. My daughter has been wanting boomerang and we don't get that now, and now this show! I want my WE TV!

Glad to know the Cake Girls are not disappointing. Honestly, I would charge those prices if people would pay them. I think their work is awesome, and I plan on making a pilgrimmage in the hopes to see them at their bakery soon. No, I am not crazy! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe cake crazy!

lillielu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillielu Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:22pm
post #105 of 236

I love the new cake show., I think its terrific!

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #106 of 236

I got a question, since we are on the subject of cake shows... you all remember I think his name was Richard on Duff's Show, Ace of Cakes. You know, the one who kept "dropping the cakes". What do you think happened to him? Dumb question,,, icon_confused.gif I know...

One other thing on the Cake Divas, when I saw "all" that buttercream being plopped down on that Sandcastle cake, I got sick to my tummy. That was a lot of buttercream. And if you watched the part where the dude and his new bride to be went to eat a piece of that cake, that piece of cake was so so tiny and the bride to be barely took a big bite of cake.
Oh well, well, well, no matter what, I'm going to keep watching because some of those peoples are funny.........
Maybe Laurie (Cake Atelie) should work with Duff, since Duff likes to do "Extreme" cakes....I think it would really add depth to his show........

sugar_blossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_blossoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #107 of 236

lol...they are fun to watch. It seems that although you can't really gain many new techniques...you can definitely learn what not to do without it being learning it the hard way. They are saving us all from their mistakes.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #108 of 236

i didnt read through all the posts, but i like this show.

on an interesting note..the cake atelier ladies (ruth and laura?) have dissolved their partnership. it will be interesting to see if one of them will stay on the show or if they will pick another team of cake designers

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #109 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

i didnt read through all the posts, but i like this show.

on an interesting note..the cake atelier ladies (ruth and laura?) have dissolved their partnership. it will be interesting to see if one of them will stay on the show or if they will pick another team of cake designers

Apparantly they film way ahead....it may not be an issue.

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:34am
post #110 of 236

So I am watching tonight's episode and cannot get over these people wrinkling their noses at their customers when they order something they don't care for...... is it just me or is it ridiculous?

And not to rant about Ruth again icon_biggrin.gif but she is one passive agressive witch! She told the other girl the woman who didn't care for flowers ordered 190 mini-cakes but in fact, she led her to that!! OMG ~ what a broomhilda. And she can obsess about her freakin' flowers but if Laurie is being picky, she is totally unreasonable. I want to throttle this woman.

On a different note, I just read that the cakediva's, Joan & Leigh, have gotten married.

edited: to correct spelling

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #111 of 236

After tonight's episode, it is easy to see why the Cake Atelier is no longer in business. I dunno which I would want to strangle first.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:55am
post #112 of 236

Ok - had to Tivo this episode, so I am just now watching it - after about 30 minutes - these are my opinions- Saw the nose wrinkle! what is up with that!! You don't wrinkle your nose at a client!

Also saw how Ruth said that that was what the girl wanted - not, I talked her into 190 mini cakes! And how are they going to deliver those in a CAB??

Ok - on to cake divas - what the heck kind of recipe do they use where you can just toss a cake around like that without breaking it to bits! And clearly they are not very creative b/c i can think of a million ways to make monkeys elegant!

Ok - think I'm done now!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #113 of 236
Quote:

On a different note, I just read that the cakediva's, Joan & Leigh, have gotten married.

To Each Other?

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #114 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by flg22275

Quote:

To Each Other?

Yes, they married each other this summer, June or July, I think.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #115 of 236

I wonder what their wedding cake looked like!! haha!

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:17am
post #116 of 236

Hahaha. I love this post. Everytime I watch this show I feel I need to come here to see what everyone is saying. I think "is it just me or are the Cake Diva's cakes totally hideous"? I could do a better job than that! The sand castle cake, the Green cake that silvery wedding cake monstrosity. I am sorry if I offend anyone, but those are the ugliest cakes I have ever seen. And the Cake Atelier ladies - they make beautiful cakes, but I did wondered how they stayed in business together. Cake Girls are awesome. I would love to work there.

The nose wrinkle - I think was edited in - I don't believe she did that in front of the client. Just a thought.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:33am
post #117 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

Ok - had to Tivo this episode, so I am just now watching it - after about 30 minutes - these are my opinions- Saw the nose wrinkle! what is up with that!! You don't wrinkle your nose at a client!

Also saw how Ruth said that that was what the girl wanted - not, I talked her into 190 mini cakes! And how are they going to deliver those in a CAB??

Ok - on to cake divas - what the heck kind of recipe do they use where you can just toss a cake around like that without breaking it to bits! And clearly they are not very creative b/c i can think of a million ways to make monkeys elegant!

Ok - think I'm done now!

Yeah!!!! What was in that cake? ACME cement? And I wish he would try to compose himself. He has cried twice on camera already. I get very defensive about my work too but Im not crying about it I challenge the offender to do it better. I want to shake him and say, stop crying. Fondant doesn't stand up to all that water.

I love the Cake Girls. I havent liked anything Ive seen from the Cake Divas with the exception of Ed Begley Jr's cake. But then thats the whole Hollywood, over the top, flashy, gawdy way of doing things. Have you ever watched Dr 90120? After the first show I wondered how on earth the Cake Attelier ladies could work together. They are so different. Not only in style of decorating but personality as well. And when you are that close to someone who is so different than you for an entire workday it can drive you to unspeakable actions. My mother told me that. My father just retired and is driving her nuts.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:34am
post #118 of 236

I usually try not to pick at the cakes on Amazing Wedding Cakes, just because I doubt that I could do it, but...........I'm not on tv and I just can't ignore the sloppiness of the Cake Diva's cakes. That one tonight with the monkeys, the fondant on the edges and corners looked horrible to me, especially the next to the top level. And the dramatics of the guy just make me uncomfortable.
Ruth (is that her name? Anyway, you probably know who I mean) from the (former) Cake Atelier would drive me crazy. That woman seems to not have a fun bone in her body. She got so annoyed that her partner wanted those mini cakes to be all uniform in size and then she almost cried about the tower chipping a little. I know, it cost a lot of money, but it can be put in the back.....
Ugh. Thankfully I can watch Duff on Thursday - those dynamic decorators with personality and fun!!! (I love Geoff!)

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:38am
post #119 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

Ok - on to cake divas - what the heck kind of recipe do they use where you can just toss a cake around like that without breaking it to bits!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was thinking he was going to twirl it on his finger like a basketball.

momma28 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm
post #120 of 236

yep they got married (joan and Leigh) Here is the link to the story.

http://cakelava.blogspot.com/2008/07/diva-esque-shout-out.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%