Honest Oppinions Needed Please..

Decorating By HannahLass Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm by snowshoe1

HannahLass Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 13

and I mean honest, I cant learn if i dont get pointers on how I can fix what went wrong. This is my first Topsy Turvy cake. I saw all the beautiful ones on here and I wanted to make one. Well I made one and was happy with it untill I looked back at other peoples. I need help what can I do to make this better. I have only been doing this for a few months and have learnt everything from on here and books no courses or anything. Please help.
LL

12 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 13

Your top looks fine - but there is something going on with your bottom tier. You didn't give much info in your post on how you made this so a few things to think about:

- Are there any supports in the bottom (looks like its being squished over to one side). Let us know what method you used for supports and I think someone will be able to offer you some good advice.
- what size is that bottom tier? Did you use a sturdy cake recipe to withstand all the manipulating a topsy cake needs.
- is the top tier 'sitting in' the bottom or did you run a dowel all the way through.

Again, if you can give some more info on what you did, it should be easy to tell what the issue is. I've only done one topsy-turvy (five tiers in my photos) but all the cakes are resting on supports and never on any cake below.

carmenid Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 13

can't see the pic

calivettie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 13

Wow. I am impressed that you have no previous experience. The photo quality does not do the cake justice, but it honestly is a lovely cake.

I do see what snowshoe is talking about, did you maybe just carve the bottom tier that way??

Great job!

Teena_Marie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 13

I honestly think it came out really good! I've never done a topsy-turvy cake before so I cant really help with any pointers.

vagostino Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 13

First let me start by saying that i wish i could make a cake like this! The colors and effects are very pretty, not to mention your braveness in attempting a topsy turvy cake!
The top tier is perfect! that cobblestone effect and the colors are perfect!
The pearl border is perfect too.
The ribbons are totally straight and the color combo is really nice.

Now the not so perfect part:

the white part in the bottom tier is bumpy (like in all my cakes!), and the shape of it is not as clean as the top tier. The right side (looking at the picture) is caving in a little and is not forming a perfect angle with the top.

Congrats on your cake and your are very brave for asking for opinions! Overall is a great cake and the "Regular public" won't notice any of this!

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 13

I think it looks great for a first time. I think for starters the picture angle is a little off. That bow on the second tier hides the change in tier size between top and bottom so it almost looks like the right side of the cake is one solid curve. In actuality the bow likely looked beautiful there; it's just the way the camera angle is I think. I also think the bottom looks a little smooshed yet it looks like you carved it that way, the left side looks great, even with that little dip on the bottom tier, it adds to its charm, but the other side, it just looks a little off. I think the bottom tier should have been carved on the sides at a straighter angle rather than with an inward curve and then with the bow right there, it doesn't create a big enough separation between bottom and top. Now that being said, i just did my first TT a few weeks ago and it was a complete disaster so I don't know if I should really be one to offer any advice! Overall it's a really cute design and you did a great job.

loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 13

I'd love to offer an opinion/suggestion, but for some reason, I'm getting the error that the attachment is no longer available. One thing though, I saw an instruction sheet just the other day on this type of cake, maybe you can try checking that out..

millermom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

I'd love to offer an opinion/suggestion, but for some reason, I'm getting the error that the attachment is no longer available.

I'm getting the same thing. This happened yesterday as well. The OP re-posted the pic, and it went through fine the 2nd time.

HannahLass Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 13

Thankyou to everyone. Right remembering the questions (with my memory this should be interesting) I used a different fondant and will most definately be going back to my original this one was just tearing and too soft. I have 4 wooden dowels in the cake supporting the top. I followed the instructions in the article on here The top tier is on a board which is then sitting on the dowels not the cake itself. I "thought" the cake was carved properly when I'd finished It looked even but I was scared to take any more off next time will carve before filling then I dont have to worry about it spilling everywhere. It was moving all over the place when I was trying to carve it. so when I had one side right I realised it had moved well over and was just a joke really. I think it just slid over after all my messin and stressin. I dammed the jam with buttercream and everything. The cake is a Lindy smith recipe to the t and I've used it to stack before and have had no problems with it being sturdy though it was really heavy which is possibly why the bottom layer of the 2 (4 after torting) was squishy. The bottom tier is a 9 inch on top and an 8 underneath possibly a bit too heavy .I must have taken about 30 photos of this and I just couldnt get it right urgh it was awful. Im going to try and post a new photo also not a great angle but hey what can you do. Hopefully this one is better. Thankyou to everyone who is stopping by to help this means a heck of a lot. Thankyou.
LL

HannahLass Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 13

ok picture being difficult going to try again. Forgive me.
LL

millermom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 13

I think it's pretty good for a first time. Practice makes perfect, and I know that family and friends LOVE our practice!

I've never done a topsy-turvy, but from this angle it looks like maybe a bigger bottom tier might help, or maybe turning the top tier? icon_confused.gif Just play around with them next time.

Don't be discouraged, though. It is really very good! icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 13

From what you describe, it sounds like you are doing everything right. You mention carving before filling - I was given that advice on CC also - makes a big difference in how easy it is to work with cakes because you can move them around better (and I only do minimal shaving of cakes - no elaborate sculptures here yet!).

Its a great design - looking forward to seeing your next one!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%