Smbc Help Please

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 2:32am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Nicolle711 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 13

Hi All!

I am not sure if I am making smbc properly. I have tried Eliza S. SMBC recipe twice and both times it comes out very liquidy. Is it supposed to be like this? Or is it supposed to be thick and fluffy like regular bc?

Or maybe you can share with me a simple yet tasty SMBC recipe of your own.

Any help greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

12 replies
Nicolle711 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 13

bump icon_redface.gif

jessienj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 13

I make hers all the time and it's always perfect, not liquidy, but nice and smooth - velvety almost.

perhaps your bowl or utensils has some grease residue? your bowl and utensil have to be completely grease free in order for the egg whites to whip up properly.

Nicolle711 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

I don't know then what I am doing wrong icon_cry.gif I always wash my bowls and utensils before I use them. And my smbc comes out kind of runny. In the recipe it does say if it is liqidity to pop in the fridge. I have it in the fridge for 2 days now. Do I bring it to room temp. and re-whip? I love how it tastes but the texture does not seem right but I am not sure since this is now my 2nd time making smbc. icon_redface.gif

jessienj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 13

if your room is a bit warm and it seems to get to soft, then you would pop in the fridge to let the butter harden up some and then continue to rewhip. it would only be for a bit, not really for days. if it's rock solid, then let it come to room temp and try rewhipping. at first it might look curdled, but just let it continue to whip until it's nice and smooth.

i've made it even when my kitchen was mega hot with no problems - it held up to the heat really well.

Nicolle711 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for your help Jessie. I am going to play around with it again tonight and hopefully I can bring it back to life! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

RRGibson Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 13

Could it be that you're not whipping your egg whites enough before you add the butter?

JessDesserts Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 13

Nicolle, theres a point while you're making it that it becomes very liquidy. Usually after you have added all the butter. This is the point where most people give up. Do not give up. Whip it, whip it good...(sorry I got carried away in a song) anyway, this is when you have to mis it longer until it turns into wonderful frosting.

HTH!
jess

Nicolle711 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 13

OMG! You are SO right!!! I just need to keep whipping it longer! duh! geez! Mine looked just like the video, kind of runny but as soon as she whipped it in over a minute the texture completely changed! So that is what I have to do. Thank you so much for posting those videos, it definitely made me see my errors! You are the best Jess! thumbs_up.gif

JessDesserts Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #10 of 13

np Nicolle, im glad it helped.

Maybe when I have a question, you can help me.

Pay it forward......

Jess icon_wink.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 13

this is a wonderful thread with lots of answered questions and pictures.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

Nicolle711 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 13

Jess: I sure hope to help you out whenever I can thumbs_up.gif

And Thanks Cupcake for the thread link! The pictures were excellent in order to determine the different stages thumbs_up.gif I am ready to tackle this SMBC again icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #13 of 13

it's a wonderful BC it tastes REALLY good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%