I've Been Invited To Participate In My First Bridal Fair

Business By momtobtb Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 3:52am by stephaniesbakery

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am so nervous! I just got an invite to be a part of my first Bridal Fair! It's being put on at my son's school. The organizer got my info from a bride who will be having her reception there next May. The organizer asked who she was using for her cake and she gave her my info! It isn't until January so I have plenty of time to prepare.

Any suggestions that will help me make this a great first bridal show?????? I have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

7 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 8

Do a search. There have been some very good threads on this in the past.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 8

Do some dummy cakes for display, and try to build up your portfolio for wedding cakes. I've seen you pics, and I have to say that you are a 3D whizz! I love your Spongebob & Homer Simpson! Good luck with the fair!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 8

your cakes are great and i agree that it's important to use this time to work on dummy cakes and take pics to build up your wedding portfolio-maybe have some cake that you would consider using for tasting? i've never done a show but i think these are important aspects...good luck and let us know how it goes!

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your help and wonderful comments!

Yes, I definately need to build up my wedding portfolio. Luckilly I have 3 weddings coming up by the end of October so that will help.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 8

I know exactly how you feel! I have been invited to my first one also for October. Then it snowballed and I have two more invites now for November and February.

I think the main thing is to relax, have fun and be professional. I am doing samples, my display, and talking alot! LOL

Somehow, it got out that I am the only decorator in this area. Talk about pressure.

Good Luck to you...at least you have more time to prepare for it.

stephaniesbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniesbakery Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #8 of 8

I just started doing these myself about a year ago, and have done pretty good. The key for me is to sign brides up for a cake tasting. I don't have them commit to anything, just schedule a tasting. If they sign up for the tasting the day of the show I offer them a discount towards their wedding cake, but they have to sign up that day. I mainly do smaller shows, that is my comfort level and I usually book about 10-15 tastings.

I also use the cake dummies. I have one done in fondant and one royal icing. Plus have a photo album of any other pics you have from other weddings if possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%