Difference Between Modeling Doughs???

Decorating By kdnicoson Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm by kakeladi

kdnicoson Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 8

I have about driven myself crazy looking for the answer for this on here and the web. It is ok to direct me to the answer if it is here somewhere.

Can someone please tell me...how do you make the decision between:

modeling chocolate

I know each is a little different so how do you choose which one to use for what?

7 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 8

Here are the reasons I use the different ones:

modeling chocolate: I want the item to taste good; the decoration is not overly detailed and does not need a lot of different colors - great for making pearls, simple roses, rope borders, etc...). Love to use this on cookies.
fondant: Simple decorations on cakes (e.g. plunger flowers, etc...) that won't be removed from the cake prior to serving
gumpaste: I want the item to be very stable, dry quickly, and most likely will remove from the cake before it is eaten. Also, prefer this for very delicate items (flower petals, etc...) and figurines.
marzipan: never used
pastalige: use mainly for structure items (e.g. jewelry boxes, etc... )

TJCanadian Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 8

Modeling Chocolate is great tasting, and you can make large objects with it, or if you want something to give more structure overtop of cake, you can use it. It holds every impression you make though, tool marks, finger prints, etc.

Fondant - not as good usually, but it springs back well so good for molding shapes, you can paint it well too.

Gumpaste - is great for things you need to dry hard and strong, you can make the thinnest flowers with it, if you're molding a shape that needs to hold up well, its great. I mix it with fondant if I want it to dry faster than fondant alone.

Marzipan - I haven't used yet

Pastiage - I agree, great for structures, making boxes, but its thick and needs to dry well.

JessDesserts Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 8

I want to make figures, probably animals for cupcakes, maybe eventually cakes...... is it a good idea to start to learn with fondant? or is there something better for a beginner?

Any help is greatly appreciated. TY

TJCanadian Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 8

fondant is a good beginner medium.

CakeWhizz Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 8

modeling chocolate - is a pliable chocolate paste made from just two ingredients, chocolate and corn syrup. It has the texture of a tootsie roll or marzipan and is very easy to work with. It can be used to make ropes, braids, ribbons, ruffles, flowers, or leaves. Can be made with bittersweet, semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate. fondant
gumpaste - this is basically a very stretchy and pliable sugar dough that can be rolled very thinly and used to make flowers and objects that you want to dry hard and strong.
marzipan - made from almonds and sugar and is mainly used here in the UK to cover fruit cakes. You can also make flowers etc from it but it tends to get oily if worked too much.
Pastillage - ideal for making large objects, dries very well and it lasts for ages. It dries VERY quickly though so you have to work very fast.
Fondant - this is my personal favourite. Ideal for a beginner and to make it stronger all you need to do is add a teaspoon of Tylose to about 250g of paste and to make it more pliable, add a little white fat (I think you call it Crisco). All the best!

kdnicoson Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your imput, that helps a lot!!

kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 8

CakeWizz gave you some really good info icon_smile.gif

The one thing that no one has mentioned is that fondant can be used to cover a cake.
Modeling choco & fondant can be mixed together for a more taste cake covering.
Gumpaste is mostly used to make realistic flowers. It can be eaten but would be much like eating egg shellsicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%