Heartbreaking - The Worse Day Ever!

Decorating By yvy_cano Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 12:55am by yvy_cano

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 25

Today I went to bake some NFSC and I put the tray on top of the counter sitting on some cake pans. My yorkies were playing around all of a sudden I hear the cookie sheet hit the floor and my youngest yorkie yelped and ran underneath the bed. I went to check up on her and she wouldnt come out from underneath the bed, when I finally got her out a few minutes later I saw her paw was bloody. I looked at it thoroughly and saw the flesh was gashed open and you could see the bone so I called the ER vet to go in. When I took her in he did some xrays and found her paw was broken in 3 places icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_sad.gif So I take her home with a splint/cast on her paws and she was heavily sedated. When she finally started coming out of the sedation, she was licking her back leg like crazy, I go to investigate it and guess what! Another open gash with the bone visible but not bloody. HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT! I rush back to the ER and looking at it they put stitches in her leg and wrapped it up and put a cone collar on her. I could not stop crying. If I would have places the darn sheet on a flat surface my poor baby would not be going through this icon_sad.gif Im so mad at myself for this. I hate me right now icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

24 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #2 of 25

It's not your fault. You didn't know that the pans would have fallen. It was an accident. (((Big Hug))). It will be ok. I hope your dog heals up real quick.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #3 of 25

aww poor guy.. ((hugs for the little one And mommy!)

its not how you missed it but how the Vet missed it. he should have checked for more injuries icon_sad.gif

give your guy some love for us!~ we're with ya all the way

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 25

icon_sad.gif So sorry. I hope your doggie feels better soon.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 25

oh honey it will be ok. Your baby will be back to normal before you know it! Sometimes accidents happen and the important thing is tha she is ok now. I almost killed my poor dog a month ago when she had ear mites I looked into natural remedies (I don't like meds for me or my animals unless absolutely necessary) and found out that tea tree oil can be used for ear mites (I have a bottle of that handy all the time for minor cuts for me and the kids) so I use a couple drops of diluted tea tree oil in her ears and soak ou tthe excess, within 8 hours my poor dog was about 85% paralized, she couldn't walk. I did some more research and found out that tea tree oil is NOT infact safe to use on animals (although there were animal sights out there selling this stuff in ear drops) and it can cause paralyzation, confusion, muscle spasms, tremors (she was shaking/tremoring too). Poor baby barely made it through.

Ok didn't mean to make this about me, I am just trying to say that it happens to the best of us, just learn from it. I certainly will do more extensive research before I try anything else on my dogs (and now thanks to you will make sure I put my pans on a totally flat surface because I am bad about doing exactly what you did and set it up on top other things)

Amanda

jab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:39am
post #6 of 25

It will be ok. Just an accident.Giving a big hug to mommy and doggy. I'm like GenGen, the vet should have looked thoroughly.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:48am
post #7 of 25

Please don't beat yourself up! Like Amanda said, accidents happen. Forgive yourself! Hope she's better soon.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 25

Oh, dear. Your dog is VERY lucky to have a mom like you.
Our neighbours were renovating their deck and the railings were off. The dog walked RIGHT OFF THE TWO-STORY DECK!!!!! several broken ribs, broken leg, concusion, punctured lung, and bruised kidneys. More than $2000 and several days in the hospital and months to fully recover.
But he DID fully recover. I'm sure your baby will too. thumbs_up.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:29am
post #9 of 25

i posted last nite a cake my neighbor and I did together for her daughter who just got married (delayed reception) the day got off to a late start because one of her dogs was very ill (all over the place) for several hours.. my friend (val) felt so horrible that she had caused this. she rarely buys these one type of bones for her dogs- roughly once or twice a year and so since its been a long time she she'd bought one- she forgot how it made the little dog sick. i reassured her that it wasn't like she went out bought the bone with the INtention of deliberately making her dog sick. (the other dog has various tumors and has had an "could pass on any day" diagnosis for the last six months.

long ramble short- thats why its called an accident. i hope morning finds your little one feeling a little better.. she has plenty of folks cheering her and her family on!!

yvy_cano Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:06am
post #10 of 25

Mommyle, that is so horrible, Im glad the baby recovered. Thank you so much for trying to make me feel better. She is such a strong little one. I just emailed my boss and told her Im taking off tomorrow. My baby needs me. Here is a pix of her in her cast. This was before I took her back, now she has her back leg bandaged up and a cone around her neck. My poor Bella.

Here she is with her big sis Chloe (chloe is on the right). I took this yesterday after grooming them myself, I love my girls icon_smile.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:49am
post #11 of 25

What precious babies! I can see that you really love and take good care of them. I am sorry about the accident, and it was an accident. Don't blame yourself or beat yourself up! Just give them both a hug for me! I bet the hurt baby will be well in no time!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:01am
post #12 of 25

Awww...your poor baby!! She'll be fine - she knows you love her and thank God she's ok. You're a good mommy!

<-----Jaxson sends his love and wishes for a speedy recovery!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:07am
post #13 of 25

Awww! Bella looks so cute in her purple cast. I'm glad she will be okay!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 25

You poor thing! I bet you were terrified for your baby! But don't beat yourself up over it...you can't change what happened, and you handled the situation beautifully. Your gorgeous dog (she's just too cute!) will heal, and all will be fine.

Sometimes, we cannot help what happens. One of my cats decided that the oven door was a great spot to jump onto. Unfortunately, it was just when I opened it to remove a casserole! I don't know if DH (boyfriend at the time) or the cat reacted the fastest, but I about had a heart attack in the split second his paws were on the door. He was fine (just a little raw spot on one paw, no blister or blood), but that moment when my heart stopped....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #15 of 25

Grab your 2 babies climb up on the couch and pour yourself a nice glass of wine...you deserve it icon_wink.gif

I can't wait to show these pictures to one of my sisters. She has 2 exactly like yours except 1 girl, and 1 boy (Angel and Benji).

I'm so sorry this accident happened to you guys, when their hurting we hurt too. They are part of our families. Please sign her cast, from all of us at CC with love icon_smile.gif

yvy_cano Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #16 of 25

Thanks everyone! I took her to the vet again yesterday for a follow up and limpy and all she went to run away from him and was fast! I was like OMG she even had me running around the office in circles lol. She only wants to be in my arms right now held like a baby, and she is normally soooo independent. I call her my terror tot, I swear she is stuck in her terrible two's stage and I love it lol icon_smile.gif. I took her to my sisters house this morning so she can watch her while I am at work. Her spirits seem great, thats most important to me. Awww I miss my babies already!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 25

Glad to see she still has great spirit. Boy, do I know how fast accidents can happen to Yorkie's. Just the other day my husband let the dogs out. My little one always seems to be using a different language than we are speaking, never comes when we call him. Well, I saw him nosing in my flower bed and when I was walking up to him, calling his name, he would not react. I instantly started yelling his name and went running. He was almost dead. His gums were white and he barely moved. We gave him nutri-cal and rushed him to the emergency vets. They said he was probably bitten or stung by something and had a reaction. Now, my husband has a fit any time I let him outside. Hey, he is a terrier and loves to run.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #18 of 25

Aww, poor little guy. It's not your fault-those little fellas are delicate! My mom has two and one broke its leg just getting off the sofa.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm
post #19 of 25

Don't blame yourself! You couldn't have foreseen that! Luckily wounds heal! You yorkies are ADORABLE!!!!!!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 25

Don't feel bad. Accidents happen to everyone. We were one of those people who were fixing the deck and one of the kids let our yorkie out and she fell through one of the missing steps. She did hurt her paw and we had to take her in and get medicine.

(((Hugs))) hope your pup feels better soon.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #21 of 25

Can I just say those are the cutest dogs EVER?!!!?!

Hope your baby is better soon!

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks so much for updating us on how your baby is doing! I love the purple cast! Hope she's doing very well very soon.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 25

so sorry about your dog but is it me or ARE THOSE DOGS ACTUALLY SMILING??? In the photo with the two of them after being groomed....it totally looks like they're smiling with their eyes squinted.....how adorable!!!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #24 of 25

I am not a dog person at all and just had to say your dogs are adorable...glad she is doing better.

yvy_cano Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #25 of 25

Thank you! They may have been smiling because as I was taking the picture I asked them if they wanted a scoobie snack (thats what I call their treats) and I got both their attention to take the picture lol. My girls are happy fun going babies overall.

Bella has definitely gotten her way around with that cast, limping of course but she sure is fast. She makes me sooo nervous cause she jumps on the couch and off of it too. When I see her I try to run to her so she wont jump off but when she is chasing her sis around there is no controlling her. I have to put them both in a gated area sometimes to get them calm so Bella wont be running around putting weight on that paw. But she is a puppy still so its a given she is a lil wild. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%