Why Do I Try New Things????

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 2:05am by costumeczar

TJCanadian Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 9

I've been reading these posts for months and waiting with baited breath for my first disaster because I knew it was just a matter of time. This week for my daughter's birthday I tried a new creamcheese/buttercream frosting and it kept sliding off the cake till I scraped it off and went back to my tried and true...

Last night I tried SMBC from Bronwen's class....had half salted, half unsalted butter to make it with (Don't know if that had anything to do with my problem), it comes out all creamy, but don't taste it on its own...I immediately hear Mike Meyers in SNL saying 'its just like buttah' because it tasts just like a stick of butter, but on a cake, its good. It goes on well, looks smooth, its great. So I leave the cake out overnight but put the piping bag full and the rest of it in the fridge overnight.....umm, are you not supposed to do that??

This morning I got the rest out of the fridge to do the borders and finish the cake.....the frosting has again taken on the extreme consistancy of a stick of butter. I let it sit out for a couple of hours thinking it just needed to stoften up again. Took a little out of the bowl and put it in the mixer to try to add the color to make the border blue (mexico beach theme)....the frosting went back to cottage cheese consistancy and wouldn't go back....soooo Now I think well, maybe you just can't refrigerate it so that must be whats wrong....

So I'm thinking I can just airbrush the whole cake blue and deal with just a plain white SMBC border (from my piping bag)...I airbrush the whole cake with royal blue which appears a lovely lavender on the cake...but fine, now I'm getting shorter on time so I say I can deal with purple, just border it with the white SMBC.....but when I'm piping that on now sometimes I'm getting a clear liquid that comes out with the frosting...kind of like water almost....but when that liquid runs down the side of the cake now...it makes that streak the blue color I tried to airbrush the cake...

Lol, so now I have a purple cake with white borders and blue streaks....I've put the seashells on the sides of the cake by now already and my frustration is rising.... At this point my husband leaves the house with the dog, for their safety...the cake is due in 1 hour. I scrape it all off and salvage as many seashells as I can. I'm brave and I make SMBC again and just as its finished I add the color and it goes ok this time, I ice it again, border it again, put the seashells back on, and finish just in the nick of time.

So what was I doing wrong?? Can you not airbrush SMBC? Are you not supposed to refrigerate it? Can you get it to whip up after you refrigerate it? What in the world was the liquid coming out with the frosting from the piping bag??

8 replies
jibbies Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 9

So sorry this happened to you. This is another one of the stories that make me glad I use regular ole buttercream.

Jibbies

SweetResults Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #3 of 9

!. You can't really airbrush it - the butter is not happy with the airbrush colors - like oil and water.

2. You can refrigerate it - I actually make batches ahead of time and freeze them in ziplock bags. Just let it thaw and re-beat in the mixer, it will come back to the right consistency. If you have a kitchen torch you can speed things up by heating the bowl as you mix it. Maybe the colors caused it to separate? Or you just did not mix it long enough, it does take awhile for it to thaw sometimes. The liquid in the bag was just condensation from the thawing buttercream. I never have great results when I leave a decorating bag of IMBC in the fridge (of course that doesn't stop me!) If it thaws completely you won't get that liquid.

3. If you use Candy colors instead of regular food color you will get a strong better color to your frosting.

4. It does taste like butter, you must add some kind of flavoring to it - vanilla or any other extract or flavor oil or whatever - but it tastes GREAT with the cake. It's just not meant to be eaten alone.

Sound like you made it through okay - good for you for keeping at it!!

kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 9

I feel your pain. I might have an answer to your question about SMBC separating. I've never used it but I looked at the recipe and saw that it calls for egg whites. When making meringue if you beat the egg whites too long they get that cottage cheese texture and separate, and I've noticed that when meringue sits it separates.

I too wanted to try something new. I needed to make a Vanderbilt Commodores cake so I thought I would try doing a FBCT....sounds easy enough....WRONG!
I made it last night and it sat in the freezer all night long. I got up and at 9 AM retrieved it from the freezer (cake due at 3pm), loosened it from the paper, and tried to move it....it COMPLETELY fell apart, I was so mad. So I thought I would try a piping gel transfer (I'd seen it on another thread) and some of the icing tore away from the cake when I pulled the transfer away. So I had to do it the hard way....by hand looking at the picture. I had to get that 2nd one right, luckily my DH bought an extra gold pearl dust just in case. I live 35 miles away from the nearest Michaels. It turned out ok I guess but what a pain. It's in my photos.

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 9

I use IMBC, it's very similar to SMBC. I've had it seperate before when I added the color. I saved it by letting it harden up in the fridge for a bit and then whipping it up really well. I'm talking a looooong time. Keep whipping it even when it looks like cottage cheese, it will come together. I always refridgerate it, you have to let it come to room temperature and then whip it up for a good amount of time again. I never refridgerate it in the piping bag though, it always needs to be rewhipped before using it again. Sometimes switching from the whip attachment to the paddle attachment works well too.

SweetResults Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #6 of 9

Kimmypooh - next time put the transfer on the cake with the paper still on it - then pop the whole cake into the freezer for a few min, then you sill be able to take the paper off the transfer with out ever really having to pick up the transfer.

kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Kimmypooh - next time put the transfer on the cake with the paper still on it - then pop the whole cake into the freezer for a few min, then you sill be able to take the paper off the transfer with out ever really having to pick up the transfer.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:12am
post #8 of 9

TJ girl.... I made the SMBC yesterday also. I go it to come out creamy and all but it didn't taste very good. DH and my brother asked where the regular icing was. I ended up giving the cake to my neighbor - he'll eat anything. If I ever make it again, I'll try some creme bouquet instead of vanilla... it didn't do much for the icing.

Mine got hard in the fridge but whipped up fine once it came back to room temp.

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #9 of 9

If you use oil-based candy colors it works better in the meringue buttercreams than water-based ones do.

If it curdles when you re-whip it it just means that the butter in it is too cold. If you wrap the mixer bowl with hot dishcloths while you whip it that will warm it up and it will come together again. Make sure it's at room temperature if you want to use it after its refrigerated and it should be fine.

As far as the flavor goes, you can add pretty much anything to meringue buttercreams to flavor it, liquers, fruit preserves, lemonade, peanut butter, etc. It doesn't tate that great on its own unless you REALLY like butter, but the flavorings make it taste really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%