Help Please With 5" Ball Pan, Uk Cakers Maybe?

Decorating By lorrieg Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm by lorrieg

lorrieg Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 6

I just used my Silverwood 5" ball pan for the first time and followed the instructions using the recipe for the sponge cake on the box.

It's 4 oz sugar, flour, & butter, 1 tsp baking powder.

The instructions tell you to bake for so long then rotate and bake some more. This is at 200C which is 400F by a list I found but the actual conversion is 392F. I think it's too hot no matter what? I didn't use the convection on my oven either. Anyway it cooked too much and didn't rise enough. I got one perfect half with a very dark crust and the other half rose about 1" sort of and was a bit burned on the edge and perfect colour on the peak.

So I cut the top off and ate it. It was excellent. Now I'd really like to make a perfect sphere.

Could someone please give me some advice? Thanks, Lorrie

5 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:30am
post #2 of 6

Definitely turn the heat down. 325F.

lorrieg Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Leah, I knew it had to be too hot but I figured I should go with the instructions the first time. If I have to I'll put two halves together. Lorrie

banba Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 6

If you have your cooker manual follow the temps given in that.

Don't forget to lower the temps by 10-20 degrees for fan assisted ovens and bake on a lower shelf.

I bake in my fan oven at 170C for sponges and airy cakes and around 150C for heavier creamed cakes like a maderia. HTH.

lorrieg Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #5 of 6

my old oven used to have both C &F on it but now I just have F. And the top of it is gas but not the actual oven so I don't have gas marks.

I ended up using 325F and rotating it after 25 min and that seemed to work. I did increase the batter a bit. I used an extra ounce of everything.

How the heck do people cover those balls of cake in fondant? Mine looks pretty good, but it's not perfect by any means. icon_lol.gif

love your avatar banba- it reminds me of my sister when she was small. Well, except my sister had horns. icon_evil.gif

lorrieg Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 6

Well, it's done. just in case anyone wants to take a peek. I'm definately using this pan again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%