Question About Working In Store Bakery

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 1:14am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 3

Question for all of you who work at a store bakery...

My mom lives down in FL near Miami, and is looking for something different to do/learn. She's applied at the local Publix market, as they had an opening for a Bakery Dept. Trainee. She knows I'm a Caker, and is becoming interested in what it involves.

What do you all think of this type of position. It probably doesn't pay much, but what would a trainee do and be responsible for?

She's a creative person, just doesn't cake like we do (yet!)

Tia!

2 replies
BCJean Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 3

I currently work in an in-store bakery and have worked for 3 different companies plus 3 different high end bakeries over the past 30+ years.

If she is just being hired as bakery clerk and not specifically in the cake portion, she will probably be icing rolls, packaging product, slicing breads, etc. If she is hired as a cake assistant, they usually start them out just icing cakes. They move from there to doing the round cakes which are not decorated. If she shows interest in decorating they will then begin using her to help out with the decorating.

Just learning to ice quickly is a real benefit of working in a bakery. I have always been fortunate to find jobs where they needed a head decorator so most of my time has been spent decorating.

I love working in the fast pace the in- store bakeries have. I love the challenge of coming up with unique designs which can be done in their time limits. I sometimes feel like the Doctor who works in the poor part of the city to give health care to those who otherwise couldn't afford it. I make cakes for those who can only afford a, "grocery store" cake. The customers are always so happy when they find they can have a cute cake on their budget.

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, BCJean, for a very thorough response! That's indeed the insight I was looking for. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%